Sky Q - Install + Faceplates

barkzz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Forgive me, I have searched but can't quite get definitive answers to this.
So I live in a new build (2018), where both aerial, and satellite dish were pre-installed.

The Sat dish has 4 feeds coming from it into the loft. The free to air aerial obviously has just one coming off of it.
There is a main faceplate (modular) in the living room, where the Freeview breaks out, and gets fed back into the rest of the house via a return channel - that feeds the master bedroom and dinning room.

I'm looking to get Sky Q installed, and have stumbled upon all the agro people have faced with cabling, and interference. I've attached pictures of my current setup, including before the living face plate was plastered etc.
The ask is, I want Sky Q, but due to the room position there is no way can they drill, and run fresh sat cable, plus being a new build don't want all the wiring when everything is already there feasibly.

So what needs to happen? Swap out to non multiplexed modules in the face place (assuming they are currently multiplexed), or take the distributor out the loop in the loft? Or do we think its good to go as is? How do I keep the Freeview signal distributed through the property?

Cheers
Carl

Attachments

• B500F1E1-BA52-4EFC-9D63-41E137BC82CA_1_105_c.jpeg
    B500F1E1-BA52-4EFC-9D63-41E137BC82CA_1_105_c.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 158
  • CF1BB82F-0151-426A-9482-8560B71721E7_1_105_c.jpeg
    CF1BB82F-0151-426A-9482-8560B71721E7_1_105_c.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 145
  • F238C98E-D688-46ED-96C6-384417191886_1_105_c.jpeg
    F238C98E-D688-46ED-96C6-384417191886_1_105_c.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 143
  • FB1EDAA1-A8F4-44A4-A5D4-938820B86AC8_1_105_c.jpeg
    FB1EDAA1-A8F4-44A4-A5D4-938820B86AC8_1_105_c.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 147
If I understand your post correctly…. You only need to wire in the main x box from the communal wiring. All distribution is then taken care off through the main box and mini boxes internal WiFi which in turn can be used as WiFi hot spots but only if you take the sky bb service. Distribution between boxes is not dependant on your bb service though, just the internet access.

appologies If I’ve not read correctly it’s been a long day

Sorry to clarify.

I want sky installers to use the existing coax wiring from the preinstalled dish (4 port, 2 for lounge, 2 extenders to other rooms), rather than run fresh coax. The modules in the faceplate at the back of the TV are singular, so no multiplexing that I can see.

I've read plenty stories where sky installers refuse to do this, and want to do new cable runs when putting the new LNB on the dish (standard 2 cable, or more for hybrid LNB), not happy for them to do this, not least because the TV wall is on an interior wall, so running cable isnt an option.

Freeview aerial in the loft is distributed to the lounge, with a return socket to feed the rest of the house, have heard issues with having these in play with SKY Q, but given its a separate module (and cabling), all should be well should it not?

House is a single dwelling, so no need for multi dwelling implementation

Just had a 1TB box installed as my old HD+ box died. They changed the dish and installed a hybrid LNB, however not the cables as it was all too difficult when they discovered that they are underground in a duct from the rear of the detached garage, where the dish is located, to the living room.

Yes think i need to push them to test the existing cables. Which 2 of the 4 go to the downstairs TV area I dont know, but they must have a way to tell with signal aparatus. All modules in the faceplate are individual so there should be no frequency ovelaps etc for Sky Q

If this was my job that I turned up at, I would be happy to use the cabling that is already installed as long as it's good and passing everything fine. I would just make you aware that if the cable went faulty obviously sky won't run it again the way it's been done now.
the faceplates shouldn't be a problem as you say they are singular and it's only a 5 min job or less to work out which cables run where.

Thanks this backs up my thinking. Hopefully don’t end up with a tin pot engineer that doesn’t have a clue. Booked in for Friday so will make sure to take him through it. Will probably throw a quick diagram today to make it crystal clear.

If this was my job that I turned up at, I would be happy to use the cabling that is already installed as long as it's good and passing everything fine. I would just make you aware that if the cable went faulty obviously sky won't run it again the way it's been done now.
the faceplates shouldn't be a problem as you say they are singular and it's only a 5 min job or less to work out which cables run where.
So had Sky out today, one of them being an engineer who's worked for them a long time. Shown him my setup, the single sockets, the 4 core from the sat dish and how it was broke out and he was more than happy using existing cabling, took him 10 mins to work out which was which off of the dish.

Only issue I've got (and apparently there are known issues), is non of the catch up/on demand/box set services are working via Sky Q box at all. Brings up a message saying you need to upgrade your subscription, even though I'm Sky Q signature, Multiscreen, UHD+HD, Sports, & ultimate TV add on. All works via Sky Go without issue.

Quick google online and this has been a common problem. Hard bounced box, reseated viewing card, and done a software update to no avail.

Sky have resent activation to the viewing card, but are aware of "multiple reports of this problem across all customers" - They have no fix at present it appears. Poor start to the services!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom