Sky Q Hub with BT infinity

Paul S

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried connecting the Q Hub to a BT home hub? I'm keen to stay with BT for broadband (to benefit from cheaper BT sport) but wondered if by doing so the hotspot, etc functionality of the Sky Minis could still be used.

Works great:)

You'll want to turn off the DHCP server on one of them.

So do the minis act as hotspots if you use BT or another broadband provider, I know Sky say that they won't but it would open up a lot of options if they did.

So do the minis act as hotspots if you use BT or another broadband provider, I know Sky say that they won't but it would open up a lot of options if they did.
No they don't, however I have the BT smart hub6 and the wifi coverage is superb:)

Thanks for confirming that. I need the hotspots for a new house I am building, so I am stuck with Sky or adding separate wifi extenders.

Cheers, thanks for confirming. Btw, are you using sky or BT BB with the BT home hub?

I need the hotspots for a new house I am building, so I am stuck with Sky or adding separate wifi extenders.

You can't add a few more cables??? Run ethernet cabling round the house then wireless access points where you need them.

In that case, has anyone else had success connecting the Q Hub to a BT home hub (using BT Infinty rather than Sky fibre)?

Thanks for confirming that. I need the hotspots for a new house I am building, so I am stuck with Sky or adding separate wifi extenders.

Then add extenders!
I know if I was doing a self build, I would do overkill & be running 8 ethernet & 4 shielded coax to every room, along with extenders where needed.

I am getting sky Q fitted today , it will be connecting to a BT hub 6 . Is there anything I need to do specific.

I am getting sky Q fitted today , it will be connecting to a BT hub 6 . Is there anything I need to do specific.
Nope. I have BT infinity 1 and get speeds up to 60MBPS. I have the Home Hub 5 which works fine with SKY Q. I have the HH5 on the ground floor in the hall where the socket is and then the main SKY Q box on the 1st floor in the tv room and the mini box in the lounge, (also on the 1st floor). All boxes are connected via wifi.

Not related to Q, but the signal on the 2nd floor is useless. Waiting to renegotiate my BT contract come Nov to see if I can get the HH6. Currently pay £11.85 for Infinity 1 and £8 for BT Sport in HD.

Nope. I have BT infinity 1 and get speeds up to 60MBPS. I have the Home Hub 5 which works fine with SKY Q. I have the HH5 on the ground floor in the hall where the socket is and then the main SKY Q box on the 1st floor in the tv room and the mini box in the lounge, (also on the 1st floor). All boxes are connected via wifi.

Not related to Q, but the signal on the 2nd floor is useless. Waiting to renegotiate my BT contract come Nov to see if I can get the HH6. Currently pay £11.85 for Infinity 1 and £8 for BT Sport in HD.
Thanks Rob20,
My BT hub will be about four ft from the Q box and the mini directly above that in the bedroom . Thanks for that.

Thanks Rob20,
My BT hub will be about four ft from the Q box and the mini directly above that in the bedroom . Thanks for that.
Glad I could help. Have to say apart from having to turn off/on the main and mini box once in a while, (mini box wouldn't stream tv although I could watch recordings on the mini from the main box, switched on and off both boxes and it worked again), I've been really impressed with SKY Q over SKY HD. Especially how fast and slick everything is. Only problem I have is the screen going blank when changing channels sometimes!? HD box never did this.

Let's hope everything goes ok for me, might take me awhile to adjust going by all the issues some people seem to have.

I have Sky Fibre and they sent me out the new Sky Q router to replace my BT home hub 5.

1st issue is that the Sky router only had 2 sockets so I would prefer to use the home hub 5 router. I tried plugging it in but its not working now - does that mean it's locked to BT fibre only?

2nd issue is that I have my whole house hard wired for cat 6. The cable that runs from the sky q hub into the next rooms 8 port switch is not working with sky Q hub. All the lights on the switch say its working but nothing connected says its connected to the internet. This switch feeds my sons bedroom and he needs the hardwire connection for xbox live. I can't figure out what to do.

Everything was perfect with BT HH5 but now I've put the sky Q router in place, its screwed everything up. I'm hoping its something simple on the router configuration?

Were you using sky fibre with the BT home hub before you switched to the Q hub?

1st issue is that the Sky router only had 2 sockets so I would prefer to use the home hub 5 router. I tried plugging it in but its not working now - does that mean it's locked to BT fibre only?
Sky use a specific authentication protocol (MER) and you'll have different credentials for the Sky service. That's why the HH doesn't connect anymore.

2nd issue is that I have my whole house hard wired for cat 6. The cable that runs from the sky q hub into the next rooms 8 port switch is not working with sky Q hub. All the lights on the switch say its working but nothing connected says its connected to the internet.
Is there activity on the Q Hub port the switch is plugged into? Have you tried both ports?
It sounds like some configuration needs to happen on the Q Hub to allow internet traffic across it's ethernet ports. That is very odd though as it should just work! You could try plugging a laptop or something into the Q Hub and seeing if that can get on the web. Or if you have a cable tester, you could check that all 4 pairs are terminated correctly.

Paul

Sky use a specific authentication protocol (MER) and you'll have different credentials for the Sky service. That's why the HH doesn't connect anymore.

Is there activity on the Q Hub port the switch is plugged into? Have you tried both ports?
It sounds like some configuration needs to happen on the Q Hub to allow internet traffic across it's ethernet ports. That is very odd though as it should just work! You could try plugging a laptop or something into the Q Hub and seeing if that can get on the web. Or if you have a cable tester, you could check that all 4 pairs are terminated correctly.

Paul

Thank you Paul.

Yes, cable is ok. When I plug it directly in to the sky q silver box, it works fine. When I plug it into the 8 port switch, the only thing that seems to work off the switch is again, the sky q silver box! Everything else (tv, X box, amp etc) just won't connect as wired.

Were you using sky fibre with the BT home hub before you switched to the Q hub?

No, previously bt fibre along with home hub 5.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom