Lord Kram

Standard Member
So got a new TV yesterday (Hisense 65U8GQTUK) and been having issues with watching any HDR content through sky Q at all.
Every few seconds the screen will flash black, and completley cut out for 1-2 seconds, although the audio will continute playing. This happens on HDR Sky cinema films, Netflix and Amazon Prime apps too
Have tried rebooting etc refreshing the apps and the same issue exists
Also tried multiple HDMI ports and couple of different cables, HDR content is fine on xbox/ps5 etc
Could my sky box be defective? Any other suggestions?

SAC101

Novice Member
I have a similar problem with Sky Q HDR and an LG OLED TV. Setting the Sky Q box to 2160p 10-bit results in the screen flashing black intermittently (when viewing non HDR content on the Sky box). However, if the broadcast material is HDR then I get a perfect picture. To overcome this I have to toggle between 2160p 8-bit (for non HDR content) and 2160p 10-bit for HDR content. i have one connection to the OLED TV via a home cinema processor and I have no issues when viewing HDR on 4k UHD DVDs. Surely this must mean the issue is with the Sky box and not the TV

bingodisco

Are you using the HDMI cable that came with the Q box? If not, check the specs of the cable you are using. If it's longer than 3 metres it can cause issues passing HDR content.

SAC101

Novice Member
The problem shouldn’t be with the HDMI cables. I am using Audioquest 8k Carbon HDMI leads and less than 3m long. Also it passes HDR when the Sky content is HDR. The issue only occurs when the Sky box is set to 2160p 10-bit and the content is non HDR

bingodisco

Try bypassing the AVR and go direct into the TV to remove that from the equation. Also check the firmware is up do date on the TV.

SAC101

Novice Member
Ok, I’ll try this but I don’t think it is the AVR. The AVR passes HDR from Sky (when it receives an HDR input) and also HDR from 4k UHD DVDs.

bingodisco

Ok, I’ll try this but I don’t think it is the AVR. The AVR passes HDR from Sky (when it receives an HDR input) and also HDR from 4k UHD DVDs.
Always best to troubleshoot these things by a process of deduction. It could be a quirk of the AVR that it doesn't like SDR UHD 10bit upscaled by the Q box. If it doesn't do it when Q is connected direct to the TV then you'll know that's the case. If it still does it then try the original HDMI cable that came with the Q box (or another) connected direct to the TV just to eliminate the cable.
I did read somewhere else recently that there was a certain model of LG OLED that was struggling with Q boxes - wouldn't allow 10bit to be selected due to a change in chipset or something. Your case sounds different though as you can select 10bit.

SAC101

Novice Member
Thanks. As you say, when I do I ’test’ on the Sky q box - it defaults to 2160p 10-bit. Suggesting that the LG OLED TV supports HDR (from Sky). When I play a 4k UHD DVD in HDR I get a notification in the top right corner on the TV displaying HDR. So I know then panel supports HDR.

bingodisco

Thanks. As you say, when I do I ’test’ on the Sky q box - it defaults to 2160p 10-bit. Suggesting that the LG OLED TV supports HDR (from Sky). When I play a 4k UHD DVD in HDR I get a notification in the top right corner on the TV displaying HDR. So I know then panel supports HDR.
Sounds like the TV definitely isn't the problem. Most likely to be the cable, or the AVR getting confused by the 10bit SDR signal from the Q box.
I have a similar setup with all my AV devices routed through a Pioneer AVR via HDMI with just the one HDMI out to my Panasonic TV. It works fine with passing UHD in both SDR and HDR with the Q box set to 2160P 10bit.

SAC101

Novice Member
i have connected the Sky Q box directly to the LG OLED TV (admittedly using a different HDMI cable) - bypassing the AVR - and reset the video output on the Sky Q box to 2160p 10-bit. In this configuration I get no picture defects. So, surprisingly (at least to myself), the issue is either with the HDMI cable connecting the Sky Q box to the AVR or in the AVR itself. Of the two I think the issue is most likely the AVR. The AVR I have is the Lyngdorf MP60 2.1. I believe similar HDMI issues have been posted On a related thread. I’ll investigate further and advise.

SAC101

Novice Member
Thanks. Been on an upgrade journey recently. My legacy set-up had been 100% Meridian - using a G68D processor and Meridian digital active speakers. Didn’t want to replace the speakers, but the processor was showing its age. Wanted to keep the signal digital, so the two options seemed to boil down to the MP60 or Trinnov Altitude 32. Purely on cost grounds the Altitude 32 was ruled out. As I listen to a lot of music as well as watching movies (either through Sky Q or an Oppo 203 DVD player) I was unsure of how the new MP60 processor would handle stereo. The short answer is that its been a revelation (Room Perfect makes a notable difference). So, if I can resolve the video handling issue all will be good

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom