The concept of the Sky box as a piece of hardware is starting to look a bit outdated. I wonder if they will eventually move towards providing their content as a TV App, in the same way as Netflix.

The first Q boxes were launched in early 2016, so would have been signed off for manufacturing 3-6 months prior to that.

At that time, HLG didn't exist as a standard and there were no chipsets available which supported it. So they couldn't launch a box then which was capable of it...
Hence the reason for launching a 2nd version fairly soon afterwards - that's basically the same as the Sky Italia box which has been outputting HLG for a year or more.

As for minis, they need reliable box to box streaming of 30-40 Mbit/s for recordings of live transmissions. There have been enough reports of problems managing the 10-20 needed for HD so I dread to think how they'd cope with that..

I fully expect a UHD mini to arrive at some point though, but not for quite a while.

Thanks for the insight, in which case I understand that HLG standards came after the box was designed/manufactured, but it also seems to be the case that all other HDMI 2.0 chipsets have been upgradeable to HDMI 2.0b for HLG support. Also HLG was in development by Japan and the BBC since 2015 so Sky could not have been ignorant of tge need for HDR standards fir live broadcasting and what was in the pipeline. I can only suspect someone at Sky cocked up, or OTA-upgrading of the HDMI firmware could not be made reliable in practise. Still, sounds like they will be doing right by us early adopters, which is the main thing.

The points on the reliability of Wi-Fi for interbox streaming Is well-made, but this also points to bad design decisions, and no doubt powerline technology was anticipated but seems to have been done away with as well. But there’s no excuse whatsoever fir not allowing customers to purchase a second SkyQ main box for the household with an independent drive and satellite feed. It wouldn’t need a viewing card either it could easily regularly authenticate to a main box with viewing card.

In fact when you consider that all the streaming devices, that just use direct internet and apps, the concept of a mini-box is dead really. They are better off replacing with a NowTV type device or stick with limited storage, that can be paired with the main SkyQ box fir a subscription verification, and have access to UHD content for internet streaming. It can download content from internet or the main SkyQ device fior slightly delayed playback if needs be.

OK just rechecked. The sky Qis ES140 and 2 sky mini areES150. Looks like I have the 2tb box so should be OK. The main thing I would like to see is F1 with HDR.

I don't know what to think about this update, we have a V2 1TB box but since the pandemic we hardly watch it...

Might just stick to HD pack and then continue with Netflix and Amazon Prime, unless they offer UHD channel that isn't a bunch of repeated documentaries.

The only thing I can think of in favour of SKY sticking with satellite broadcasts is for when your internet is down.

Depending on where you live this may or may not affect you much, but the last place I lived, I used to get a lot of web outages.

I know there's Freeview but it was always good to have SKY to fall back on.

I'm sure that it will eventually become a streaming service though.

Typical, so the early adopters get stung again...and why should you pay the same sub, as someone who is getting hdr, just because your box might not support it..sky will be having lots of angry customers! Unless they sort that side of things out

OK just rechecked. The sky Qis ES140 and 2 sky mini areES150. Looks like I have the 2tb box so should be OK. The main thing I would like to see is F1 with HDR.
How do you check the ES number were is it?

Check my post #27 in this thread. If you check your router you should be able to see it. Alternatively, on your sky q go to set up, network connection, network setup, advanced setting it will be in there

No money in F1 Sky tried it as a stand alone and it bombed .. Football and Films is the obvious route .. but as i have a V1 box i will for now not get it , but unless Sky swap it out for one that does HDR/HLG they will be 1 sub down.

Done a bit of digging and V1 boxes with 1tb are said to miss out, 2tb should be good for HDR/HLG never guess what i have, the latter .. but those boxes not HDR compliant need removing and replaced with a box that does.

Where in the settings does it say what box you have cant remember what one I’ve got go a mini working of it

Have they pushed an update out for HDR I keep getting this on my c6
4950E726-D3AD-4F1C-848E-DB47C8C6B297.jpeg

No, there's no update needed to enable HDR. They just have to activate it on the existing firmware.

No, the v1 2TB box isn't HDR compatible. That's why Sky are working on a process for swapping them out for V2 or v3.
How do you look up which box you have in the menu

And how do you overcome the problem if your TV doesn't have an HDMI 2.2 port?

No, the v1 2TB box isn't HDR compatible. That's why Sky are working on a process for swapping them out for V2 or v3.
Sky are saying that V1 Box is not HDR/HLG Compatible and you get it when you get it , if ever V1 box owners.. So i phoned Sky again saying i am not prepaired to pay the same price for a service which is inferior to what others are getting down to the box and told them i want a V2 box or i am off .. so they investigated (they say) and now the V1 2TB BOX will be getting the HDR/HLG upgrade on Wedensday and if not they will send out a V2 2TB Box out.. my thinking is those who have the V1 BOX are not getting the update and need to kick up a stink or you are going to be in for a very long wait before Sky rool out a swap of boxes.

Sky are saying that V1 Box is not HDR/HLG Compatible and you get it when you get it , if ever V1 box owners.. So i phoned Sky again saying i am not prepaired to pay the same price for a service which is inferior to what others are getting down to the box and told them i want a V2 box or i am off .. so they investigated (they say) and now the V1 2TB BOX will be getting the HDR/HLG upgrade on Wedensday and if not they will send out a V2 2TB Box out.. my thinking is those who have the V1 BOX are not getting the update and need to kick up a stink or you are going to be in for a very long wait before Sky rool out a swap of boxes.
How do you check which box you have I have a 2TB but not sure if its v1 or v2

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom