scoop9999

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have been looking into upgrading my sky q 2tb box to a 2tb hdr box, apparently it is £50 to upgrade.
Surely this can’t be right, basically being penalised because I bought sky q too early, as most of the newer boxes can be upgraded.

Has anybody managed to get this fee waivered?

Regards
Scott

Hi

I have been looking into upgrading my sky q 2tb box to a 2tb hdr box, apparently it is £50 to upgrade.
Surely this can’t be right, basically being penalised because I bought sky q too early, as most of the newer boxes can be upgraded.

Regards
Scott
Just call Sky retentions and ask. They’re always very helpful in my experience. Just be friendly and polite

Hi

Regards
Scott
You are correct that it seems very unfair to treat Sky Q customers differently, particularly when the early adopters get penalised.

As above, be polite but firm - I believe some people have been successful, but only after Sky have initially played hardball.

Don’t upgrade yet until they have firmware to address dropped audio and flooding the network with discovery packets.

Don’t upgrade yet until they have firmware to address dropped audio and flooding the network with discovery packets.
Must admit dropped audio was bad , but in the last 2wks ive not had a problem
Ive not played much 4k content on it recently but that was the worst for audio drop out

I paid the £50 reluctantly for a V3 and had a much worse picture quality to my V1 box (apart from UHD HDR which was fine). Also numerous audio dropouts which was never previously encountered & problems with my mini box (Connectivity & Pixelating) despite being wired via Ethernet! complained & the box was swapped out for a V2 one, no problems since the swap!

If your OLD box developed a fault like it kept losing recordings and the hard drive was dodgy or something and you had to ring them for it to be replaced then the new box would invariably be the HDR version and no £50 fee.
Just saying.
In fact you can log it online now and request a replacement without having to ring them.

Interesting as my V1 box has been misbehaving for a while - do you have a link where you can request this?

Its normally once you have logged in to your Sky account so cant show a direct link as thats in my own account so doesnt work but this link may help to direct you

That link looks promising but only options are if the box is dead from the look of it which mine isn't so would think Sky might kick off if they arrive to replace a box that looks to work ok - though its not clear if they just send the box, if so thats fine as I can just swap them over myself

That link looks promising but only options are if the box is dead from the look of it which mine isn't so would think Sky might kick off if they arrive to replace a box that looks to work ok - though its not clear if they just send the box, if so thats fine as I can just swap them over myself
The new box is sent via courier, no engineer needs to come, and they're not going to kick off. Your box isn't working properly so you need a replacement otherwise you can't receive the service you pay for.
You take out the viewing card, unplug your own box and swap it on the door step for the new one. You give the courier the box, remote, power cable and remote and get new ones in return. Simple.
In my (and many others) experience they don't check what state the old box is in when they get it - they get so many coming back in that it's impossible and time consuming to test individual faults so I wouldn't worry.

Plus they are not coming into houses at the moment anyway due to Covid.

Thanks all - new box ordered, need to make sure we watch anything on the existing box that we haven't seen but I assume can just setup the new box whenever we want

Thanks all - new box ordered, need to make sure we watch anything on the existing box that we haven't seen but I assume can just setup the new box whenever we want
You should get a text from the courier with a delivery timeslot. Make sure you have your old box unplugged and ready to swap beforehand, oh and remember to TAKE YOUR VIEWING CARD OUT OF IT. Many people forget to do this and have to wait for a new one to be sent before they can view anything.
You swap the boxes over on the doorstep and the courier takes the old one away, then it's up to you to plug the new one in, insert your viewing card and away you go. You'll obviously have to pair the new remote to your TV and you'll have lost all your recordings from the previous box so you'll have to set up any series links again. There are full instructions supplied with the box but it's pretty straightforward.

Didn't realise had to hand the box over whilst the courier is waiting! That's a pain as thought could send back in our own time - good to know though!

Didn't realise had to hand the box over whilst the courier is waiting! That's a pain as thought could send back in our own time - good to know though!
I think I read of some people who had the new box delivered by Royal Mail then they had to box up and return the old one within a set period of time by themselves. It’s a bit more hassle doing it that way I think, and I’m not sure if Sky are doing it any more. Wait and see if you get a courier or Royal Mail email confirmation in the next 24 hours. I got a courier notification very quickly and the box was delivered less than 24 hours after ordering.

Sky are never going to allow you to "own" two boxes at the same time! But it only takes a couple of minutes to disconnect and chuck in the box.

I think I read of some people who had the new box delivered by Royal Mail then they had to box up and return the old one within a set period of time by themselves. It’s a bit more hassle doing it that way I think, and I’m not sure if Sky are doing it any more. Wait and see if you get a courier or Royal Mail email confirmation in the next 24 hours. I got a courier notification very quickly and the box was delivered less than 24 hours after ordering.
When I cancelled my multiscreen a few months ago they sent me a box to use, but I had to return the mini box in the post.

Sky are never going to allow you to "own" two boxes at the same time! But it only takes a couple of minutes to disconnect and chuck in the box.
Realise that was just hoping for a few days to finish off any recordings on the old box that are not available anymore but its not a big deal.

Realise that was just hoping for a few days to finish off any recordings on the old box that are not available anymore but its not a big deal.
You don't own the Sky Q box is Sky which is a change from the previous generation of boxes.

Got the Q box today, 24 hours after ordering which was impressive. Setup was easy enough.

BUT after all that effort they have bloody given me another old V1 box that is not HDR compatible!!!!

Urgh - unlucky! What a pain. Maybe they're finally starting to send out fewer HDR boxes until the sound drop-out issue is fixed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom