Sky Q HDMI over IP or Coax - help needed

Jabes

Established Member
Reaction score
I am moving into a new house which has been cabled with a single coax and single Cat 6 to each room. The coax is currently set to distribute satellite signal via some kind of splitter/multi-LNB in the roof near the dish.

I only require Sky Q to one of these locations.

I imagine the easiest way (rather than running a new satellite cable, for which the routing would be difficult) would be to switch out the dish for a sky Q one and put the sky Q box in the roof where the current splitter and distribution point is.

A long way to ask my question! Given that there is a single network connection to the point I'd either need an HDMI over IP solution that can be shared with other data through a small local switch; or over the coax. Does anyone have any advice as to which may be better and suitable products?
I probably only care about 1080p since there isn't much 4k on Sky Q (although 4k would be nice for future proofing I guess); I do care about 5.1 sound and of course remote control.
[I am experienced with IP networking, so as not worried about config if that is the solution].

If you have an Multi-LNB with four coax cables from the dish/LNB to the distribution point. You can pick up a Unitron dCSS-422 (find them on eBay).

These take a Quad/Quattro LNB feed for each of the four bands and convert it to a dSCR feed allowing you to use 1 Coax Cable from the distribution point to the Sky Q box located elsewhere.

This will be a much cleaner install than mucking about with HDMI over an IP Network. The other benefit is that Sky unofficially support this in a Single Residential Dwelling, as this is the trick they use to upgrade Single Feed Sky+HD boxes in Multi Residential Dwellings like flats and apartments where an additional cable is not cost effective to run.

I've attached a guide from Sky on this.

Attachments

• mdu_dSCR_Plug_In_Adapter_Operational_Overview_V1.01.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 200
I’m glad I posted here - as this looks like it might be just the ticket. I will take some model numbers of parts when I am next at the property and try to work out if this is compatible as it would be a much better solution than distributing the hdmi!

Even if any of the existing kit is not compatible, it’s probably easier to install a new LNB and any additionally coax cables from the dish to the distribution point. (you’ll need four cables from LNB)

You’ll then be able to use equipment like the model quoted above, to allow you to use the existing single run of coax to your end points.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom