Sky Q hdmi over coaxial

BillyBoy67

Novice Member
Hi folks,
new Guy on here, as a family we love Tv and everything associated with it, recently had Sky Tv upgraded to Sky Q but my problem is that I’ve already got three sky Q minis but need one more for my bedroom, the old sky+ box ran through coax and magic eye but the new sky Q is hdmi. So I need to somehow split the hdmi from Sky Q to immediate Tv in front room then up through coax to bedroom!
Can any of you Guys help please?
I’d like to point out that I’m not a techy person and really would appreciate a sensible solution from somebody who knows!
Thank you
Bill

mikej

I believe you would have to buy a modulator in order to distribute an HD signal from a Sky Q box via coax and these aren't cheap.

Do you currently have a Sky multiscreen subscription that covers multiple Sky Q Mini boxes ? If so, then it will probably be cheaper (and definitely simpler if you're not a techy person !) to buy an additional Mini box.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
You'd need a digital TV modulator and the remote TV would need to have the correct H.264 video decoder built in. All Freeview HD (DVB-T2) sets will be OK and some europe-wide models that are DVB-T only.

Not cheap though.
Examples are Triax Mod 103T, Technomate TM-RF HD IR and Edison Xtend (assuming you want IR control back and the Q box support an IR blaster control).

Note the main TV Q box will need to be limited to HD (1080i/p, no UHD) and stereo (no surround sound) - although there are extra cost ways round that, too.

Head over to the correct sub forum where this probably has been discussed previously. Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat
The same digital modulator idea is also used for Freesat and Freeview PVRs, as well as $ky.

There are other ways of distributing / sharing the hdmi out to two TVs using ethernet-type cables.

Is there a limit on the number of Q mini boxes allowed in one dwelling?
EDIT: To answer my own Q... possibly no limit, but only two Qs can be used to watch $ky (and live tuners?) at any one time. A third/fouth can continue streaming from other apps if started before watching "$ky" material...
But such viewing can be done from other smart TV apps/devices, too...

Last edited:

BillyBoy67

Novice Member
I believe you would have to buy a modulator in order to distribute an HD signal from a Sky Q box via coax and these aren't cheap.

Do you currently have a Sky multiscreen subscription that covers multiple Sky Q Mini boxes ? If so, then it will probably be cheaper (and definitely simpler if you're not a techy person !) to buy an additional Mini box.
Hi, thank you for your reply, unfortunately I’m up to my maximum number of mini box’s with Sky (3) and so to resume to my original set up of a magic eye in my bedroom I’m forced to explore other options hence my question!
Thank you
Bill

BillyBoy67

Novice Member
You'd need a digital TV modulator and the remote TV would need to have the correct H.264 video decoder built in. All Freeview HD (DVB-T2) sets will be OK and some europe-wide models that are DVB-T only.

Not cheap though.
Examples are Triax Mod 103T, Technomate TM-RF HD IR and Edison Xtend (assuming you want IR control back and the Q box support an IR blaster control).

Note the main TV Q box will need to be limited to HD (1080i/p, no UHD) and stereo (no surround sound) - although there are extra cost ways round that, too.

Head over to the correct sub forum where this probably has been discussed previously. Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat
The same digital modulator idea is also used for Freesat and Freeview PVRs, as well as $ky.

There are other ways of distributing / sharing the hdmi out to two TVs using ethernet-type cables.

EDIT: To answer my own Q... possibly no limit, but only two Qs can be used to watch $ky (and live tuners?) at any one time. A third/fouth can continue streaming from other apps if started before watching "$ky" material...
Hi, thank you for your reply. I understand there are limitations to this solution eg no UHD and having to watch the same channel as downstairs etc but that’s absolutely fine. Sky have told me that from their point of view there is no more options as lm at my maximum mini box’s, so with this mind I’ll have to go with some sort of HDMI modulator over coax I believe. Once again thank for your time and advice.
Bill

mikej

Hi, thank you for your reply, unfortunately I’m up to my maximum number of mini box’s with Sky (3) and so to resume to my original set up of a magic eye in my bedroom I’m forced to explore other options hence my question!
Thank you
Bill
OK. Modulators seem to be 1080p at the moment so if you want to retain 4K on the lounge TV, then you'll have to use an additional HDMI splitter that will feed your TV with 4K and modulator with 1080p.

There is a discussion containing some points that may be relevant here, including a link to a suitable splitter...

As you can see, this method is do-able but not always straight forward !

BillyBoy67

Novice Member
OK. Modulators seem to be 1080p at the moment so if you want to retain 4K on the lounge TV, then you'll have to use an additional HDMI splitter that will feed your TV with 4K and modulator with 1080p.

There is a discussion containing some points that may be relevant here, including a link to a suitable splitter...

As you can see, this method is do-able but not always straight forward !
Thank you very much!

BillyBoy67

Novice Member

Not cheap though.

Hello mate, I asked you a question about extending my Sky Q via coaxial cable and you kindly offered advice. Now I’ve got a TRIAX 300128 coming and was wondering if you could offer me any additional advice on getting my magic eye to work on this bit of kit too?
Thank you Rodders53

mikej

300128 is actually the product code for the Triax Mod 103T mentioned above and the instructions can be found here.

Connections seem fairly straight-forward and, in your case, may be simpler than the diagram. For example - you only need to connect 'RF Out 1' to the lounge TV if you're also connecting a terrestrial (Freeview) aerial to the modulator and distributing that round the house using the same system.

If you're only using the modulator to supply one bedroom TV with a Sky signal, then you can also ignore the distribution amp in the diagram and connect the bedroom TV directly to 'RF Out 2'. As the modulator will presumably be located in the lounge, you'll have to have a think about whether you can use any existing coax runs to the lounge or whether a new cable will be needed.

Don't forget that if you want to retain a 4K signal on your lounge TV, you'll have to buy a suitable splitter/scaler which would take the Sky Q's HDMI signal and feed the modulator with 1080p and your lounge TV a 4K signal simultaneously but, if your lounge TV is 1080p, then you obviously don't need this.

I've no personal experience of using a magic eye system but the Triax Mod 103T 'includes IR receiver/emitter for HDMI source' so it sounds like this would replace any existing magic eye equipment you've got ?

The emitter plugs into the modulator itself and has to reach a suitable location in front of the Sky Q box's IR sensor. The diagram does seem to omit the IR receiver which obviously has to be located near the bedroom TV. It looks like an inline coax connector judging by one of the product photos but I'm not sure exactly where that would need to be placed in the system - presumably at the coax input on the bedroom TV but hopefully Rodders can advise.

Last edited:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
^^^^^^^^^ seems fairly comprehensive reply from Mike

I'd only be able to :rtfm: to advise.

AIUI the modulator is compatible with $ky magic eyes and has an IR blaster eye included to be placed on the $ky box IR window.
It also includes the a IR receiver / injector box for one distant TV (as Mike says between the coax feeding the distant TV input, with IR unit somewhere visible.

BUT I believe the Q uses RF / bluetooth remote control, not IR????
Correction: They can be either... Question - Sky Q Remote / IR

So another bluetooth Q remote in the distant bedroom may or may not work depending on distance and materials in the way? So avoiding the need for the magic eye(s)?

Last edited:

mikej

Does the Sky Go app allow control of the Q box ? That could be another alternative to a magic eye if so.

BillyBoy67

Novice Member
^^^^^^^^^ seems fairly comprehensive reply from Mike

I'd only be able to :rtfm: to advise.

AIUI the modulator is compatible with $ky magic eyes and has an IR blaster eye included to be placed on the $ky box IR window.
It also includes the a IR receiver / injector box for one distant TV (as Mike says between the coax feeding the distant TV input, with IR unit somewhere visible.

BUT I believe the Q uses RF / bluetooth remote control, not IR????
Correction: They can be either... Question - Sky Q Remote / IR

So another bluetooth Q remote in the distant bedroom may or may not work depending on distance and materials in the way? So avoiding the need for the magic eye(s)?
Thank you so much! Everything worked out fine but if I’m honest I really don’t know how I did it.
Picture and sound are fantastic, slight delay on magic eye but other than that I’m chuffed to bits with the result.
Once again Thank you!
Bill

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom