sonysean

Established Member
Reaction score
So we've had Sky Q installed for a couple of years now and have the 1TB box and 1 mini box connected.

Back then we had no means of seeing 4K or HDR but now that the TV and receiver have been upgraded and are now capable, I'd like to get 4K and HDR content via Sky Q.

I'm aware that the 1TB box has no 4K or HDR capabilities, so how exactly do I get it 'swapped' over with one that is capable, and how much will it cost?
Also, will we need to upgrade our actual subscription to get the 4K/HDR content? We currently have the following package:
Sky Entertainment
Box Sets
Sky Cinema
HD
Sky Q experience

While on the subject of TV packages is it worth switching to the newer "Sky Signature" package which it allows me to do online and is apparently cheaper? Will I lose anything if I do that?

There are innumerable posts saying that the exchange costs £50.
Tell Sky you want to do the exchange, and fix a new deal at the same time.

There really isn’t a great deal on UHD if you’ve not got movies or sports

Thanks, I'll give Sky a call and see what sort of deal they can offer me.

We have Sky Cinema (£1 extra a month deal), so thought it'd be worth it alone to get the movies there in UHD where available :)

There are innumerable posts saying that the exchange costs £50.
Tell Sky you want to do the exchange, and fix a new deal at the same time.
The £50 is for upgrading from a V1 2TB box to a V3 2TB box.

So we've had Sky Q installed for a couple of years now and have the 1TB box and 1 mini box connected.

Back then we had no means of seeing 4K or HDR but now that the TV and receiver have been upgraded and are now capable, I'd like to get 4K and HDR content via Sky Q.

I'm aware that the 1TB box has no 4K or HDR capabilities, so how exactly do I get it 'swapped' over with one that is capable, and how much will it cost?
Also, will we need to upgrade our actual subscription to get the 4K/HDR content? We currently have the following package:
Sky Entertainment
Box Sets
Sky Cinema
HD
Sky Q experience

While on the subject of TV packages is it worth switching to the newer "Sky Signature" package which it allows me to do online and is apparently cheaper? Will I lose anything if I do that?

Upgrading from an old 1TB box, it's probably best to call Sky, ignoring the message, and upgrade to a new 1TB UHD box. If you are also changing your subscription package you may be able to negotiate a free upgrade. If you want a V3 2TB box, Sky will probably charge for that.

Changing to Sky Signature including HD/UHD and Sky Cinema will save you money and I think you get UHD for free if you have HD and Sky Cinema. I have the full Sky package and switching to Signature etc. saved me £10.50 a month.

So what you need will be:
Sky Signature
Sky Cinema
HD/UHD
Multiscreen

which should replicate what you have already.

You really not missing much. Much better options to get UHD using Netflix, Amazon Prime.

We haven't watched anything in UHD on our SkyQ, my contact is due for renewal in November and will be switching back to HD only.

I like my F1 in uhd, some films and there are some series on demand and that I catchup with that are also uhd...

Last edited:
Just a note to everyone, I cancelled my multiscreen subscription and lost UHD. Apparently UHD was free with multiscreen on the old package.

I've now resolved this, however I had to take a new contract with 'Sky Signature' and adding UHD. Cost me an extra £4 but reduced the original bill by £14 by dropping multiscreen.

There really isn’t a great deal on UHD if you’ve not got movies or sports

There is a lot more than people realise. But for some reason known only to Sky, they like to keep it all hidden. Most of the latest US shows have UHD versions, but you have to specifically make an effort to find it.

It's really not good enough, there should be a way of finding all UHD content much easier than there is at the moment.

That's why I rarely bother with the UHD stuff, I record the HD with series links and I can't be bothered to then download the UHD version. Pity there's not a way for it to just automatically get the UHD version with a series link.

I know it'll download the next episode when you start watching one.

There is, go into settings press preferences and On demand default download format pick UHD.

Yeah, I get that. What I want is where I set a series link for it to download in UHD, rather than record in HD and then have to download in UHD.

Yeah, I get that. What I want is where I set a series link for it to download in UHD, rather than record in HD and then have to download in UHD.
Settings>Preferences>On demand default download format>UHD.

If the programme is not in UHD then the next best format is used, ie HD.

I've downloaded all of Get Shorty in UHD using this setting.

Yeah, I’ve got that all set up.

What I tend to do through is record everything on a series link. I can often be several weeks behind a particular series and as has been said they don’t often advertise that stuff is in UHD the first you know of it is when you start watching something and the little caption at the bottom comes up “also available in UHD”, by which time, I’m already watching and can’t be bothered to stop and look for the UHD version and download that.

I’d just like to be able to set a series link, if it’s only HD, fine. If it’s UHD, don’t record it, download the UHD version instead, or record the UHD version, because don’t they have a UHD version by the red dot or pressing select like the football?

As gibbsy and I have both said. He’s put it better than me. If you follow that it downloads automatically in UHD , if it’s not uhd it will do it as HD .

Yes, I get that. Maybe I’m not explaining myself very well.

I don’t want to have to manual download anything, I want it to be automatic, so I can set a series link, I don’t care if it downloads it or records it.

At the moment say new series x starts tonight at 9. I set a series link to record. In a few weeks to watch it, I discover there is/was a 4K version, I’ve then got to stop watching and manually look for and download the 4K version, which I rarely bother to do.

What i want is for it to know I want a 4K version where available because I have it set up in my settings to download in 4K where available, so to automatically record or download, I don’t cars, the 4K version of new series x tonight at 9.

They used to have a dedicated HD channel when HD was new and there wasn’t that muck content, why can’t they have a UHD channel where you can schedule recordings.

I get that it’s a minor inconvenience Rather than a major problem. Just saying I’d like to be able to do it 😀

They used to have a dedicated HD channel when HD was new and there wasn’t that muck content, why can’t they have a UHD channel where you can schedule recordings.

UHD on a Sky channel, via satellite relay, would take up WAY too much of the available microwave bandwidth. This would compromise the amount of channels they could have in total and/or reduce the bitrate of transmission of these non-UHD channels.

For now, it makes sense for UHD to be transmitted via the Internet.

I suspected as much.

Would be nice if there was a way to set downloads like we do with recordings though.

It's Sky we're talking about though after all, we should be grateful we're finally getting HDR :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom