Sky q - freesat ?

mrminibus

Standard Member
ive been given a 1tb sky q box which I want to use just for freesat but it doesn’t seem to work on my dish which works fine with my human pvr, should this work or is it a dead box?

John

You cant be given a skyq box by anyone other than sky. They are only rented and will probably need returning at the end of a contract

Rodders53

Wrong lnb type. Special 2-output $ky Q ones are available, as well as 6-output Hybrid ones that work on normal (freesat, fta) satellite receivers and on $ky Q (outputs auto switching to suit the connected receiver).

LNBs can be changed simply enough but may need a small alignment tweak if you're unlucky.

BUT $ky Q boxes cannot be used for <freesat-from-sky> AFAIK, as they are only rented while a valid subscription is in place. Certainly not for freesat(TM) proper. A call to $ky can confirm both if you want.

slkcarlover

Standard Member
Every sky Q posting I have ever read on a forum (both this and others) have said the rental Q box thing.

I really don't care, if they want it they can ask for it back. What I want to know is, what happens to the Q box when you're out of contract, do you get the Free to air sky channels out of contract or does the whole box die.

Inked

Distinguished Member
Every sky Q posting I have ever read on a forum (both this and others) have said the rental Q box thing.

I really don't care, if they want it they can ask for it back. What I want to know is, what happens to the Q box when you're out of contract, do you get the Free to air sky channels out of contract or does the whole box die.
And they will ask for it back upon cancellation of contract.
If you cancel, they will inform you of your obligation to return the equipment (they’ll send you a box to send it back in) or be billed for the cost of it.

slkcarlover

Standard Member
I've had many ISP routers where it was technically the property of the ISP yadsa yadda yadda. But they have never asked for it back.

What are they going to do with an old used box? It's useless to them. They can't give it to another customer.

Inked

Distinguished Member
I've had many ISP routers where it was technically the property of the ISP yadsa yadda yadda. But they have never asked for it back.

What are they going to do with an old used box? It's useless to them. They can't give it to another customer.
This isn’t about a router from an ISP though, it’s about a Sky Q box, and yes, renting it to a different paying customer is exactly what they will do with the returned equipment, whatever gives you the idea that they can’t?

Top Bottom