Sky Q Ethernet/Wi-Fi Questions and Problems

CamIOW

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2tb Sky Q setup with a booster and 3 mini boxes. The system is basically the main box in the lounge at the front of the house, a room we don’t really use much, a booster provided by Sky in the hall with the signal going through to a kitchen with a mini box. The signal then goes through to a mini box in a rear lounge/diner that we use all the time. The 3rd mini box is in a bedroom which is directly above the front lounge so this tends to work fine all the time. The downstairs part of the system worked fine most of the time with only the odd drop out but we have changed the layout of the rear lounge/diner which means that the mini is now behind a large thick double wall which is now causing major drop outs and ‘cannot connect to your Sky Q box’ messages which is causing us headaches due to having to constantly reset the box to get it to work. For info my home broadband is BT and I have the WholeHome discs about the house but of course these don’t play a part in the Sky network other than the main Sky box connects to the BT main router wirelessly.

There are several solutions as I see it but some advice on the best way forward would be appreciated. Firstly I’m thinking of putting another Sky Q booster between the kitchen and the rear lounge in a position where it has line of sight between the two mini’s. However I’m not sure if the booster needs to boost the signal from the main box to a mini or will it boost the signal from mini to mini?

Second option is to hard wire to the mini in the lounge/diner via an Ethernet cable. Althought a faf this is possible but the easier route would be to cable from kitchen mini to lounge/diner mini. Is this possible or does the cable need to run from the main box to the problematic mini? Also if I wire from the main box to the mini will the Wi-Fi still work from the main box to the rest of the system? I would be impossible to install a hub and wire the rest of the house so I really only need to make sure the box in the rear lounge/diner works well via a cable and everything else works wirelessly as currently. The mini in the lounge/diner does not need to transmit a Wi-Fi signal any further so that one could have its Wi-Fi turned off if needed if it was directly cabled to another box.

Obviously the extra booster option would be the simplest to implement but I’m not convinced that it would work as it would be boosting from a mini to a mini as such, but I may be wrong, I don’t know enough about the technicalities of the system to be sure.

Any advice as to the way forward would be appreciated as this is driving us mad at the moment. I can’t really wait for Sky to come in and look at the system, given the current lockdown of the country it could take an age to get them in!

Thanks.

Simple answer-Home plugs.They are brilliant simple to set up and make the best your of your internet connection.ive been using them for nearly 5 years and they work flawlessly and give ne the fastest speeds and most reliable connection.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I think you are talking about power line adaptors? If so that could be an option but the problem is one I’ve faced with the power line I’ve got now and that is that the ring main in the extension where the mini box is located is on a separate consumer unit to the rest of the house. This means that when you use a power line between the two circuits the connection is not that good and you loose a lot of speed. I was using one on a computer in the extension and although I get at lest 65mbits to the router I was only getting about 22 to the computer. Would that be enough for Sky?

Simple answer-Home plugs.They are brilliant simple to set up and make the best your of your internet connection.ive been using them for nearly 5 years and they work flawlessly and give ne the fastest speeds and most reliable connection.

Just tried it with the power line equipment I have, which is pretty new, and I get a picture but it freezes often until it eventually freezes completely.

Try temporary cables and see how it may connect and work. The time and money is in hiding them away. Wired is best. I used to run a mix of Powerline and Wi-fi but with Sky constantly updating firmware I would even guess at what will work.

Try temporary cables and see how it may connect and work. The time and money is in hiding them away. Wired is best. I used to run a mix of Powerline and Wi-fi but with Sky constantly updating firmware I would even guess at what will work.
Thanks, I will probably try and get in a 50m cable to see if it all works but I've also order the Sky Q booster so will try that too but no idea when it will arrive!

I bought a 300m box of cable, a bag of plugs and assorted wall plate modules and after scrolling YouTube Etherneted the house using existing conduits that were installed for a telephone network.

The booster should work. My initial setup had three but I found it was choking the Wi-fi capacity. Things may have changed since then.

You should be able to run an ethernet cable from any Sky device on the wifi mesh - the firmware on these devices bridges together all the network adapters into a single network.

For a while, I had a mini meshed to the main box, then a network cable from the mini to the smart tv.

You should be able to run an ethernet cable from any Sky device on the wifi mesh - the firmware on these devices bridges together all the network adapters into a single network.

For a while, I had a mini meshed to the main box, then a network cable from the mini to the smart tv.
Thanks, that sound's like of of the options I was thinking of. Once I get a cable I'll give it a go.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom