Sky Q Download Failed

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Recorded the first couple of episodes of Chucky, saw the rest was available on demand so tried downloading, kept getting download failed.

Tried again a bit later, nothing has changed my end and it worked.

Managed to watch the next three eps with it automatically downloading the next new one when I started one. Got as far as ep 5 and downloads failed again.

Can download to my phone via the Sky Go app, but as soon as I try and download the same thing either via the app to the box or direct from the box, I get download failed.

Tried other content, same result.

Any suggestions?

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
Turn everything off at the plug and start again?

NikG

Recorded the first couple of episodes of Chucky, saw the rest was available on demand so tried downloading, kept getting download failed.

Tried again a bit later, nothing has changed my end and it worked.

Managed to watch the next three eps with it automatically downloading the next new one when I started one. Got as far as ep 5 and downloads failed again.

Can download to my phone via the Sky Go app, but as soon as I try and download the same thing either via the app to the box or direct from the box, I get download failed.

Tried other content, same result.

Any suggestions?
Check the Sky forum this is happening to a lot of people including me.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Yeah, had a look there, 12 page thread! Let’s hope Sky sort it quickly.

I’ve noticed it will download non-Sky stuff fine.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
What ISP do you use out of interest? Some people on the Sky forum seems to think it’s a BT issue.

Not sure quite how that works, BT somehow detect you’re downloading Sky content and make it fail, but lets you download non-Sky stuff, from presumably the same place without issue and it lets you download anything from the same place using a phone or tablet on the same network without issue.

I’m sure it’s only a coincidence that this has only started happening since the last firmware update on the Q box :)

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Just downloaded the Sky app on my Xbox.

Can watch the exact same content that my Sky box won’t download, albeit in rubbish quality and with forced unskippable ads.

Same network, same router, same everything, only difference is taking the (recently updated) Sky box out of the equation, yet some people on the Sky forum still insist it’s nothing to do with Sky and it’s all down to BT.

Interestingly, one of the few downloads I did manage to get worked fine until half way through, when it all went corrupted. I FF through to see if it was a few minutes or the rest of it. When it came to the ad breaks, what do you know, the ads played perfectly! Yet when the ads had finished and the show was about to restart, everything corrupted again.

Have to say, I’m impressed, if a little worried that BT have software sophisticated enough to detect what you’re downloading and fail Sky content, but allow non-Sky content or when it doesn’t completely fail, corrupt the Sky content but play back the ads clearly :laugh:

rs101

Not really surprising that streaming works when the problem is only with downloads..

As mentioned before, it's most likely the Content Delivery Network servers Sky use on BT's network are having issues.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
But I can still download it onto my phone/tablet with no problem, it’s just the Q box the downloads fail.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
I've got this issue too. Loads have it going by a thread on the Sky forum. I'm on BT too which seems to be the common denominator.

As said above, this is only on the Sky Q box. Streaming, App etc all still works fine.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
As far as I’m aware BT haven’t changed anything recently, the only difference has been my Q box updated a couple of days ago, which is when this started for me.

Of course it could be a BT issue, it could be Sky. Whoever it is, I just hope they hurry up and fix it.

cuke2u

Well all the episodes in UHD downloaded for me yesterday. On Sky superfast fibre with their hub...

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Yeah, doesn’t seem to be affecting anyone using their own broadband.

If it is the latest box update, I wonder if they only tested it with their own routers?

Still hit and miss today, have had a couple failed but also one successful, well I say successful, I haven’t actually watched it yet so it’s possible it could be corrupted.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Just seen this posted on the Sky forum.

This is a known issue currently being investigated by our tech teams. Please be assured that this is being treated with priority and we hope to have a resolution in place ASAP.

Changing DNS settings is a temporary workaround that is resolving this for some of our customers. If this hasn't worked, we can only advise waiting for the permanent fix to be put in place. I really do apologise for any inconvenience caused by this.

At least they’re working on it, so hopefully won’t be too long before it’s fixed.

Belzok

Distinguished Member
Go into your network settings and edit the DNS server to 1.1.1.1 that worked for me so far.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom