Question Sky q - can a splitter and hdmi cable send to bedroom tv

Ailsa52tommy

Novice Member
I subscribed to sky q with one mini box. I was told I didn't need another mini in my sons room as he can use his PS4.
Son has advised the service through his PS4 isn't great. He can't access most of the channels. Sky now want £99 plus £60 engineer for another mini box.
An option would be for me to give him my mini q and me hard wire the down stairs box to my bedroom. There's only me so I'm ok with what ever is kn the down stairs box would be the same in my room. I'm ok with not being able to turn over. My question is. Would a splitter in the main box and a hdmi cable to my bedroom work please ?

TJT1

Distinguished Member
Very likely, but how long would the cable be? That is pretty much the limiting factor.
By the way, you have posted in the non-Sky satellite bit of the forum about three threads after the one that is titled "Do not post about Sky in this forum". Sky has a separate sub forum if you look at the top of the list.

TJT1

Distinguished Member
Can I move this thread ?
A moderator will likely move it for you in the fullness of time.
A 10m cable should be OK and is probably the cheapest option especially as you are already aware of the shortcomings of doing so.

What/who is Ka? Other than a Ford car.

d10brp

I subscribed to sky q with one mini box. I was told I didn't need another mini in my sons room as he can use his PS4.
Son has advised the service through his PS4 isn't great. He can't access most of the channels. Sky now want £99 plus £60 engineer for another mini box.
An option would be for me to give him my mini q and me hard wire the down stairs box to my bedroom. There's only me so I'm ok with what ever is kn the down stairs box would be the same in my room. I'm ok with not being able to turn over. My question is. Would a splitter in the main box and a hdmi cable to my bedroom work please ?
I'd have thought most of the channels he can't get on his ps4 are FTA, no aerial in his room?

If you want to split the main signal and send it another room then there are a couple of options for sending the signal that far. I've used a long HDMI cable before for the same purpose but it will likely only work for 1080 sky signals, if you ever wanted to send a blu-ray player signal along it that would likely fail.

When we moved house I sent my Sky HD signal with this gadget as we have Cat5e wiring throughout: AGPtek 60m LKV372A HDMI Network Extender Over Single Cable Cat6/6a/7 Ethernet Cable - Supports 3D 1080P 20~60KHz Frequency IR Remote Control: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics. Worked a treat, also sends IR commands so you can change the channel.

I've also seen solutions that concert the HDMI signal to something resembling a Freeview HD channel which can be sent around the house via coax, though this is probably a bit pricey.

Otherwise, sit tight and wait for a decent offer for a new mini.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom