• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky Q cable

MicroMan

From what I have read Webro WF100 is the best cable to use from dish to Sky Q box. However I have been given a drum of cable with the the markings "LCC100 coaxial 75ohm CAI 0136B", can anyone advise how this compares to the Webro WF100 and would it be suitable.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
It is not all-copper construction as per the Webro WF100 (it's tinned copper braid with aluminium-coated plastic foil).

It will likely be adequate, as otherwise the performance specs are near identical.

Longer term reliability, externally, it may not be quite as good though.

However, $ky supply and install the dish and cabling normally...

MicroMan

Thanks for the information and I will be getting the Webro WF100 cable. I already have Sky but are moving the TV from one side of the room to the other and people have said that extension cables are not advisable so will put in fresh cables to the new location.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Depends on if the $ky cables are thick 6.5mm diameter WF100 type or the much thinner WF65.

The former can be extended (use waterproofing self-amalgamating tape on the f-back to back if outside) but the latter has much greater losses and as Q uses higher frequencies it's unwise to extend, even with the better cable.

I'm sure somewhere I saw that $ky require the thin shotgun cable (WF65 style) to be upgraded when installing Q due to the higher frequency use???

As you have the cable already, I'd use it and replace it if it gives problems at some future date rather than buying new.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Sky-Q IF is lower than a universal lnb. It's actually in the UHF band. That's why you cant multiplex a UHF terrestrial aerial onto a sky-Q downlead.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Sky-Q IF is lower than a universal lnb. It's actually in the UHF band. That's why you cant multiplex a UHF terrestrial aerial onto a sky-Q downlead.
The bandwidth starts lower, yes; but also goes up a bit higher - at least that's how I understand it?
Otherwise $ky wouldn't be recommending/installing lower loss WF100, would they?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom