Sky Q box set expiry

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by dave_turk, Jan 7, 2017.

1. dave_turk

dave_turk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    had Sky Q for around 4 months now, not too many issues apart from the mini!

However, last night I stumbled upon my first big bugbear! I've been watching a 5 season box set over the last month or so. Unlike Sky HD, you can't download the entire box set in one go, and it pulls them down ready for the ending of each episode. Watched sears on 3 ep 9 last night and found I didn't have ep 10 in recordings. Checked with the search and found the show has been removed from the catalogue :mad:

No notice or warning to say it was being removed. Sky obviously are directing toward this drip mechanism rather than pulling the entire thing down, but it's clearly fundamentally flawed!

2. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,379
    This also happened on the Sky+HD box for me once. I now manually download each episode to be on the safe side. Bit of a pain, although slightly easier on the Q UI than on the old box I think.

BTW, it does tell you when a programme is going to expire, so you can check. Some stuff is years, others are just weeks or even days.

3. dave_turk

dave_turk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for the reply. It does seem kind of counter intuitive that they've built in the feature to download next episode, but we have to download all!

I realise it gives you the expiry, but this is only in the box set screen and doesn't show in the normal recorded items view I don't think?

4. Crovon

Crovon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    I've had this on the sky HD box also. Downloaded 'the night of' box set and when we went to watch it we could only see the first episode. The box set was removed so I couldn't download the rest.

Pretty pointless feature if they are just gonna remove stuff tbh. Best to just download all the episodes individually and watch them when you want to imo

5. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    There are two different expiry dates associated with "on demand".

The first is the expiry date for downloading content (date it is removed from On Demand) and this is only shown on the download data.

The second is the deletion date at which it will be deleted from your planner. This is shown in the programme synopsis of your recording.

So when downloading box sets it is wise to check expiry date of the last episode at least.

Sky (as with all other platforms) only buy rights for a specific time for broadcas, download etc hence the expiry and deletion dates.

6. dave_turk

dave_turk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    This is my point though - I started watching this over a month ago and have just ploughed on an ep at a time. It's counter intuitive for sky to provide this model and expect me to either check the available until date or download the entire box set, when their model is clearly biased toward tickling. They don't even provide a download all option in Q.

7. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Welcome to the world of On Demand. Everywhere.

8. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Even if you download them they can expire. The only way to have programmes/films for when you want them is to record them off air.