Sky q box crashing when playing Riviera

zAndy1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Has anyone come across anything like this, basically every time I play an episode of Riviera downloaded from ondemand in uhd my box resets itself, if it's recording at the time the recording stops, the box restarts and currently having done this it's showing the 'no satellite signal' error. It's happened every night for the last 4 nights when I've played an episode of Riviera, not sure if it would do it if I played something else because basically this is all we've been watching but I'll try something else and see what happens. Anyone else come across anything like this, bloody annoying!

Tonight I switched the box on and it said it had changed the settings as my tv wasn't compatible with ultra hd, I then started watching a recording and fast forwarded it and within a few seconds it froze and wouldn't respond to the remote and I had to pull the plug, AGAIN! I'm seriously losing patience with this bloody box, it's the most unstable box I've ever had that displeasure of using

Could it be overheating? During the warm weather we've had recently my box has been unstable, particularly for UHD content, freezing during playback at random points (rewind and replay doesn't reproduce the error). I keep my Q box in a closed, but not sealed, cabinet. I put a small perspex shelf under the box to raise it up a bit and no issues since.

I am on hold to Sky about this very problem now, you know the people who now seem absolutely determined not to speak to you, you are asked to do it by Facebook, Sky app or live video??? WTF, speak to your customers you bad mannered there are actually people who don't do facetwitter and never intend to.

Anyhoo, i am watching Stargate again from the start, well at least i would do as everytime i press play on a downloaded program of not just Stargate but anything, the box turns off and takes up to 10 minutes to turn on again.
I was starting to think i was the only person who was having this problem.

Did you get anywhere with this? Mines been ok the last week or so but then I haven't downloaded any ondemand content, not uhd anyway. It has done the reset settings thing though, set itself to 1080i cos it didn't think my tv was uhd capable. I'm glad I've got an amp in the chain cos switching the amp on is the only thing that seems to make the sky q box recognise it is a uhd tv after all.

Sky engineer coming out tomorrow to have look at it, still doing it but only on downloaded not timer recordings.
The sky agent listened and arranged an engineer in minutes, he said maybe it did not take to the last upgrade well.
Smacks to me of the beginnings of a known problem if he arranged a visit that quick.
I everytime it reboots i have to manually search for the wifi and enter the code in again as well.

So if it 'did not take to the last upgrade well', what is the Sky man going to do about it. I deliberately refrained from calling him an engineer.

Probably replace the box.
Yeah that's what they usually do and it's a PITA cos you lose all your recordings and it never usually does any good cos 9 times out of 10 the issue is software related. I'd be reluctant to let them do that again tbh

Replaced the box (surprise surprise).
Luckily it did it while he was here and he said he had never seen it before.
For some reason the old box had the option under HDMI settings to select Dolby Digital+ for Atmos when it arrives, the new box doesn't and it is on the same software, but then i am not holding my breath for Atmos anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom