Sky Q box constant disconnecting from router.

The main and the mini box are both connected via ethernet due to the distance between them. The sky box is still connected to the online services via wifi due to it not being feasible to have an ethernet connection between the router and the sky box. The booster is connected via ethernet though.

The issue seems to be when the main sky box drops the network connection the mini box stops working until it is reestablished.

Due to covid I left the engineer alone to do his job and waited in another room, I couldn't tell you exactly what settings he changed in the boxes because I wasn't there to see it. He seemed to know his stuff though. I'm starting to think the issue is with a fault in some bit of sky equipment.
Since Q inception there have been conflicting reports the system will/will not work on a mix of Ethernet and WiFi. Mine worked (reasonably) happily with Main on WiFi and minis on power line Ethernet for a long time until one day it just stopped working. The minis would not hold network connection. For sometime after that I ran them all on power line Ethernet with just the occasional blue screen.
One day I stumbled upon a plan to wire them all by traditional wired Ethernet without visible cables and keeping the wife happy.
Wired Ethernet is the solution, there is always a way.

There is PoE+ which supplies more power to devices.

Had exactly the same problem when I switched the Sky router for a non-Sky one. Changing 5ghz bands, combinations of switching 2.4ghz and 5ghz on and off on the SkyQ box made no difference. Switching off the 5ghz radio on the router has fixed it completely at a stopgap until I can run some ethernet cables

When watching the football last night the picture started glitching,then the sky q mini stopped working in the bedroom. The remote wouldn't work either.I pulled the plug out for a minute when it was put back in it had reset itself and everything was ok. This is the first glitch I have had for a while. Never had this problem ever with the old HD boxes. So damned annoying. I really don't know if another box would make any difference as I have a version 3 .

Sky are pushing things too far from what I can see.
Imagine multiple Wi-Fi meshes overlapping...

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom