Sky Q box constant disconnecting from router.

ron swanson

Established Member
Reaction score
Problem as per the title.

I use to use a homehub and suffered almost daily disconnects from my sky q box. I switched to a TP Link router and the problem appeared to go away for a little while. Over the last few months however the problem has started to creep back more and more regularly and as of typing this it's done it maybe several times in the last 3 or 4 days.

BT checked the line and can find no issues. So my suspicion is theres an issue with the sky q box software. Anyone experienced the same problem and can offer any remedies?

Some kind of channel interference, but seems unlikely? Invest in Powerline adapters and cable it instead of using wifi. Will be rock solid on a cabled connection.

I had this similarly after installation following period of relative stability. Culminated one day with multiple reboots not resolving issue. I was on Virgin BB. Had to book engineer call out as it genuinely looked like box failure. I had too much interference/usage on the default 2.4Ghz band. Engineer forced box to use the 5Ghz band. Couldnt explain why issue crept in apart from possibly software upgrade on router that I may have been unaware of.

As per previous message hard wiring is way to go; I'm just not in a position yet to do it.

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately hardwiring is something that I can't currently do. Initially I blamed the home hub as looking on the sky forums there seemed to be an issue with Home hubs and Sky Q boxes not playing nicely. The TP link seemed to completely remove the problem for a number of months only for it to rear it's head again. I don't appear to have any WIFI issues with any other bit of equipment in the house so it leads me to believe the issue is why the sky box.

Frustratingly the issue only seems to affect non sky broadband customers.

It will sometimes work for days at a time without issue but as someone who likes to download programs overnight when no one is using the internet finding out it has disconnected 10 minutes after going to bed is frustrating to say the least!

I'll have to look into getting an engineer to visit as soon as I am able to do so.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to look at my thread and please accept my apologies for the late acknowledgement.

100% it will be channel interference. I was having a dozen dropouts a day over Wi-Fi, from both the main SkyQ box and also the mini. I added another node to my mesh system and hardwired the main box, switched off Wi-Fi and voila. Touch wood, not one single dropout in 5 days. Powerline can be hit and miss depending on your wiring but I'd avoid as they won't generally provide the bandwidth.

walshy

I've been having that same problem for ages and I've only recently gotten to the bottom of my woes.

Turns out that it was an Amazon Fire TV stick plugged into the back of the TV causing me issues. Since Amazon Prime came to Sky Q, meaning I no longer need the Fire TV, our Sky Q mini has been behaving itself.

Just an update, the hints given in the link worked for a while but over time the problem came back. intermittently at first but it gradually got worse and worse to the point where it was more often that not there were connection issues.

I've ended up speaking to sky and an engineer is coming to visit. Hopefully the issue will get sorted by them.

My feeling is faulty sky equipment to be honest.

A similar thing happens to me,when I turn on the sky q mini on in the morning in the bedroom,the main q box has disconnected itself from the wi fi during the night.Frustrating as hell. I'm with ee,the rest of my wi fi in the house is fine.

Piggy-backing this thread as I've had nothing but trouble with my Sky Q box for the last few months.

We have Vodafone home broadband and a TP Link Archer VR600 ADSL modem/wifi router. The Sky Q box disconnects constantly from the wifi, and then eventually won't reconnect - it sees the network, but can't connect to it.

As this is not a Sky router, I believe the Sky Q box can't use the 5GHz network (and it doesn't see it anyway). You also can't change the wifi channel on the Sky Q box for the 2.4GHz network.

We do have a lot of wifi devices, spread across 2.4 and 5Ghz networks, so it may be channel interference? But if you can't change the Sky Q 2.4GHz channel, I'm not sure what I can do.

Any help much appreciated!

The engineer visited and decided that due to the distance between the mini and the main box it needs a fixed ethernet connection. So thats going to be another engineer visit to get that done. So thats a positive that all the issues should get fixed regarding the mini box dropping the connection.

He did however tell me my TP-Link router was total rubbish and that is the sole reason for the main box losing network connection as the signal isn't good enough. Too far away etc. I told him everything works perfectly bar the sky boxes and I can get plenty of signal further away than the 12 feet or so between the main box and the router.

Another idea to add to the mix, we had endless issues with the mini disconnecting.
The main box is under the TV as I guess most are. Eventually I realised it was sitting right under the bulk of the TVs stand, which must have been blocking the Wi-fi signal sufficiently to make the mini flaky.
Moving it a few inches away from the bulk of the TV stand so that it had a clearer line of sight to the mini has, touch wood, solved it.
Our main box is hard wired, but I imagine the same issue could affect Wi-fi connected main boxes.

That is something that had crossed my mind to be honest which would make the wifi antenna inside the Sky boxes a bit naff wouldn't it?

I have games consoles inside a similar TV unit both in the living room with the main box and the other room with the mini box and have no issues with them.

I think you're on to something for sure.

The other thing you haven’t mentioned is the routers Wi-fi channels. Sky Qs link to the mini works on channel 36 at 5ghz. I changed 5ghz on the router to channel 48, i.e. as far away from 36 as I could. For completeness I locked 2.4ghz to channel 1. Turn off any auto channel switching the router may have.

I get your point about games consoles, but those are not having to broadcast their own full Wi-fi network at the same time as receiving Wi-fi from your router. It’s a recipe for interference issues. I imagine if Sky could turn back time they would find a better solution.

I recommend Ethernet to the main box if you can find a way of doing it. At least that one will be stable doing that.

By the way, I used to use a TPLink VR600. It worked perfectly well with Sky Q.

I hope you get it sorted. I know how frustrating it is.

I have played around with the channels so much in my quest to get things sorted with the sky box that without opening up the settings I couldn't tell you what they are. I tried the sky on multiple channels via the hidden settings menu and nothing solved the problem. 5GHZ oddly made matters worse.

As I said in my update they're coming out to hardwire the two sky boxes I might ask the engineer if he can suggest anything regarding the wifi dropout. Looking on the sky forums there are very few issues like mine when using sky broadband. I'm currently with another provider.

I completely missed your update, Apologies.
Sky Q main box can only connect to non Sky routers on the 2.4ghz band, which is why I have always hard wired it to BT broadband. Hopefully the engineer can hard wire the whole system for you, make Wi-fi irrelevant and turn off the Sky Q mesh entirely.

No worries, to be honest I wasn't sure anyone would have picked up again on such an old thread. I actually followed the steps in a guide someone kindly linked to early on in the thread and it sorted the problem for a while but it came back.

I had no idea it couldn't connect to 5GHZ unless on sky, that would explain it causing me more issues than needed. An cable from the sky box to the router at the moment isn't feasable so I might look at powerline adapters.

Cheers for the advice and pointer, much appreciated.

The engineer came out and wired the connection between the two boxes and after 3 days of use I am still experiencing the exact same issue with the connection between the main box and the mini. The only difference this time is that due to the ethernet connection I don't have to restart the booster this time.

At the end of my tether with it now!

I'm thinking of asking for a replacement mini box to see if that sorts the issue out if not I think I might just be as wise to cancel it and save a few quid on the subscription.

Trying to understand what he did.
Is it Wi-fi from router to main box and then Ethernet between boxes, or Ethernet for the main box too?
Has the booster been dumped?
Did he turn off the Wi-fi link between boxes in the Q box engineer menu?

It sounds like he wired it all up, but they have reverted to the Wi-fi link as they have a tendency to do, especially if the boxes have been restarted.

The main and the mini box are both connected via ethernet due to the distance between them. The sky box is still connected to the online services via wifi due to it not being feasible to have an ethernet connection between the router and the sky box. The booster is connected via ethernet though.

The issue seems to be when the main sky box drops the network connection the mini box stops working until it is reestablished.

Due to covid I left the engineer alone to do his job and waited in another room, I couldn't tell you exactly what settings he changed in the boxes because I wasn't there to see it. He seemed to know his stuff though. I'm starting to think the issue is with a fault in some bit of sky equipment.

The mini cannot work unless it has a connection to the main box and that connection will fail if the main box isn't connected to the internet.
The Wi-fi connection to the main box seems to be the problem. I’m guessing that’s what the booster is supposed to fix, but isn’t.
Have you looked or asked for help at the Sky forum. They’ve been through this type of problem lots of times.

I wonder if there are other Sky Q boxes round you, that might cause conflicts if they are on the same 5GHz channel.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom