Answered SKY q BOX 1TB SKY Q BOX MINI TO SONY SURROUND

vw754

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have had a new sky q box mini (1tb) installed...........it has one hdmi output going to the tv.

i want to connect my surround sound (sony) but i can not,as the sky box only has 1 hdmi output,my sony surround has no optical output so cant do it that way either....how can i hook it up ?

sony surround has red+white phone audio in/out ........and 1 hdmi output.

sky q mini only has 1 hdmi output....going to tv.

what model is your Sony ?

DAV-DZ 630 ..........around 7 /8 years old only hdmi output and phono red/white

Hopefully there is an analouge Stereo Out on the TV (either 2RCA or a Headphone socket) - assuming yes that is what you connect to the 2RCA Input on the Sony sound system.

You will set the Source (SKY Q Mini) HDMI Out to Stereo ‘normal’, connect that to the TV HDMI Input and will then use whatever ‘surround’ modes the Sony offers to create a surround effect.

Joe

the specs say your sony has optical and coaxial audio in, so you connect your hdmi to the TV from the sky box for picture only, and then use the optical out from the sky box to the optical in on the Sony for Audio ?

The surround system has no optical output - why would it? - but does have digital inputs.

All Sky Q Mini's have a 3.5mm AV out Video/Stereo.
Simply connect the Q Mini with a 3.5mm stereo minijack to RCA Phono cable into your Sony amp.

I may be missing the point here, but it seems that what you want to do is watch the picture on your TV, and listen to the sound through your Sony on external speakers, not on your TV speakers ?

I may be missing the point here, but it seems that what you want to do is watch the picture on your TV, and listen to the sound through your Sony on external speakers, not on your TV speakers ?

Yes, I suspect the OP is getting his inputs and outputs mixed up.
He'll be able to do that if he uses the AV out on the Q Mini.

he can also do it by connecting the optical OUT from the mini to the optical IN on the SONY.

I don't understand why he keeps saying I don't have an optical OUT on the SONY. Why would you need this ?

he can also do it by connecting the optical OUT from the mini to the optical IN on the SONY.

I don't understand why he keeps saying I don't have an optical OUT on the SONY. Why would you need this ?

He doesn't, he's just getting his inputs n outputs mixed up

i dont have optical out or in on sony surround

forget the sky mini q box for a minute.

ive even tried hdmi from surround sound to tv........no sound.

even connected optical from sky to tv...no sound,really doing my nut in

Yes, I suspect the OP is getting his inputs and outputs mixed up.
He'll be able to do that if he uses the AV out on the Q Mini.

i only have 1 x hdmi socket on sky q box,which connects to tv for the picture,yes i want sound to come through my surround system,my sky box has optical aswell connected that go's to the tv.....no sound still.

yes thats correct.

i only have 1 x hdmi socket on sky q box,which connects to tv for the picture,yes i want sound to come through my surround system,my sky box has optical aswell connected that go's to the tv.....no sound still.
The HDMI output from the Sky box has picture AND audio. You don't need the separate optical connection between Sky and the TV.

As you don't mention any connection between your sky box to the sound system, how do you expect the Sky sound out of it?

Do you get any sound from your sound system? If so, what is the source and how is it connected to the system.
It is difficult to understand just what you are doing, but it sounds to me that you might need an HDMI splitter. Input from the SkyBox. One output to the TV for picture and the other to the Sony for the sound.

Do you get any sound from the Sony if you connect the HDMI from the SkyBox directly to the Sony? (Yes, I fully realise that you won't have a picture, but one thing at a time eh!)

Last edited:
i dont have optical out or in on sony surround

forget the sky mini q box for a minute

Hang on, your post is about getting sound from your Sky Q Mini into your Sony Surround system.
Please be clear...are you talking about the Sky Q Mini or the main Sky Q box?

I have had a new sky q box mini (1tb) installe.
Here lies the first bit of the confusion. OP is calling the 1TB SkyQ box a mini, further exacerbated by confusing use of 'inputs' and 'outputs'.

@vw754. Your box that connects via two cables to the dish and has the HDD in it is the main SkyQ box. The minis are the smaller ones that you can scatter around the house to run second/third etc. TVs.

So, to start from scratch and eliminate all confusion, like JayCee asks, are you talking about the main SkyQ box or a mini located in a different room.

Last edited:
@vw754 Apologies, I misread the spec on your Sony, It doesn't have an optical input.

I don't think you can do what you want, as you need to be able to get a digital signal to the sony from the sky box, and I don't believe you have the necessary inputs to allow this. Happy to be corrected though.

You should be able to get the audio on your TV just using the HDMI, as TJT1 says the HDMI passes audio and video, so you don't need the optical and HDMI cable connected from SKY to TV.

You shouldn't have to do anything with the SKY box audio settings as HDMI Audio should always be on. If you are having problems, you may want to try the normal setting for it. Likewise with the optical cable, try changing it to normal, if your TV can't decode digital.

Here lies the first bit of the confusion. OP is calling the 1TB SkyQ box a mini, further exacerbated by confusing use of 'inputs' and 'outputs'.

@vw754. Your box that connects via two cables to the dish and has the HDD in it is the main SkyQ box. The minis are the smaller ones that you can scatter around the house to run second/third etc. TVs.

So, to start from scratch and eliminate all confusion, like JayCee asks, are you talking about the main SkyQ box or a mini located in a different room.
MAIN SKY QBOX.......it said mini on the sky box,thats why i said mini,sorry.

Just buy an inexpensive Digital to analogue audio converter (£10 upwards) from the likes of Amazon, connect it to the optical out on the Sky Q box then connect the Right/Left Stereo RCA connectors of the converter to the corresponding inputs on your Sony system.
Job done.

Just buy an inexpensive Digital to analogue audio converter (£10 upwards) from the likes of Amazon, connect it to the optical out on the Sky Q box then connect the Right/Left Stereo RCA connectors of the converter to the corresponding inputs on your Sony system.
Job done.
thankyou very much...i will be doing............they range from £3.99 upwards...whats the difference?

I wouldn't buy the cheapest just to be on the safe side.
Read the reviews of them before making your choice.

ok.........its all working now after buying the converter...........only thing ive noticed is.....the volume on my surround use to be alot louder........i mean at 23 it was loud..........now i find i can take it to the MAX and thats on 33 !
and i can still listen to music or movies comfortably,but before the converter at max volume..........i'd be covering my ears..............is this normal now?

Seems like you have a runaway full stop key on your keyboard.:facepalm::rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom