Question Sky Q and soundbox remotes

marc.knuckle

Hi all

So for a while I've had a receiver and surround sound. However due to having some devices connected to the receiver's hdmis and some to the TV's, it gave us some hassle remembering what device's input to change and the receiver sometimes had issues where there'd be no sound and I'd have to turn things off and on. Also having cables trailing along the walls and causing a rat's nest behind the tv, I'd had enough.

So i set out looking at a simpler set up. Having sky Q, i couldn't pass up £189 for the Soundbox.

Overall it's a better setup and still sounds great.

I find it odd though that the HDMI doesn't have arc so although the sky q works via HDMI, to get sound from anything else, including the built in apps, we need to use optical.

This means changing sound inputs each time on the Soundbox remote which still means an extra remote. Admittedly only to press that one button. However it also means only being able to use the sky q or soundbox remote for volume.

Firstly has anyone got the Soundbox and what are your thoughts but also is there a good universal remote that works with this set up?

We also have a ps4 (soon to be ps5) plugged in, a switch and an Amazon fire stick.

Cheers guys, Marc

marc.knuckle

By the way, i have just messaged both Harmony and One 4 all asking their recommendations to work with Samsung tv, sky q and sky soundbox. Also great if it worked with Amazon firestick and PS5.

I thought too, it doesn't have to have routines. If they work great that's fine but i want things simple. I tried a harmony elite a couple of years back when i had the tv, receiver and sky q and it had issues where it sometimes wouldn't action certain parts of the chain of events and that caused more headache than it was worth so i sold it.

AliS

Novice Member
No idea about the remotes, but I was considering a Sky Soundbox. I dont think I am going to bother if I have to switch sound output everytime I use an app. Thanks

mpspep

I've had a Sky Soundbox for a couple of years but have always found it frustrating when watching from a source other than Sky Q. It's only a press on the Soundbox remote but I haven't been able to find an alternative solution.

marc.knuckle

I've had a Sky Soundbox for a couple of years but have always found it frustrating when watching from a source other than Sky Q. It's only a press on the Soundbox remote but I haven't been able to find an alternative solution.

Hi guys and thanks for the replies.

So I've got the One for all Smart control 5 and have just programmed it. I think I'll post my findings in a separate, specific thread, but just to confirm, i can't program the Sky soundbox remote Input button. Admittedly the volume is great as you can lock the volume control to only the Soundbox whichever device is in okay.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom