Sky Q and Mini Boxes losing WIFI connection

Tigger3

Established Member
Reaction score
Have Sky Q 2tb in main room with mini box in front room and mini box in upstairs bedroom. Also have Sky booster upstairs. BT Halo as broadband. Issue is all three Sky boxes keep dropping wifi connection. My question is if i connect my main box via ethernet and Powerline adaptor can i still run the two mini boxes over Wifi?

My question is if i connect my main box via ethernet and Powerline adaptor can i still run the two mini boxes over Wifi?
Yep should be fine to do this.

Yes, should work fine. My 2TB Q box is cabled back to the router (BT Halo 1) and the two mini's use WiFi. It keeps the heavy downloading traffic off of the WiFi and free's the WiFi bandwidth for those devices that need it. It really improved my WiFi performance.

Thanks for your reply. Do i just keep the mini boxes on wi fi settings

Yes, I didn't change any settings on the mini boxes - all just worked. The cabled connection on the Q box is used for the internet traffic and the Q to mini uses WiFi.

Apologies one final question. When you connect the ethernet cable to the main sky q box do you turn off wifi in the advanced settings. I am thinking that if you do not do this then the box will just automatically jump on the wifi and not the ethernet

You need to leave the WiFi turned on on the main Q box unless you are also cabling all the minis. The ethernet takes priority over wireless so the Q uses the ethernet to access the internet and uses its own WiFi network to talk to the minis. I didn't have to change any settings.

okay thanks for your quick response. i have plugged in the ethernet cable i will see how stable the connection is over the next few days

okay thanks for your quick response. i have plugged in the ethernet cable i will see how stable the connection is over the next few days
Well?

I had the same issue on mine, where the mini box in the dining room as losing connection. Ended up installing a cheap Mesh system which fixed the problem and improved the Wifi.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom