Sky Q and Ethernet query

Scapegoat

When the system was installed by Sky it was set up as follows:

Main Sky Q in one room adjacent to the router (Virgin) and one Mini in another room a way away.

The main box was connected via Wifi and the Mini connected via Ethernet (I had installed when I renovated).

All good until today when issues with network connection have started.

My WiFi is working well (100mb) but Sky Q cannot connect (reset a few times) and therefore Mini not working either.

So I thought I would switch to Ethernet - and this has worked (and probably improved speed) but seems to mean I now have to use WiFi for the Mini.

Why didn’t Sky installed multiple Ethernet connectors?

And can you buy splitters that would allow 2 connections and would the Sky Q box recognise this type of set up?

Chrisgixer

If our experience is anything to go by Sky will always prefer a wifi connection as the minis are just wifi streaming boxes and once setup up correctly, which yours are not by the sound of it, they work surprisingly faultlessly, believe it or not.

If having issues you sadly need to call sky and suffer their processes. It’s not possible to fix it yourself without their software from what I have seen

Sky Q will not recognise anything other than standard install stuff. So I’d get sky in before spending further until you know where you are.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
@Scapegoat were the two Sky boxes connected directly via an ethernet cable before your issues.

You don't need multiple connections to each box.

If you want to wire them in via wired ethernet cables then you can do via plugging both of them into your VM router. If you don't have any spare ports than you get a 5 way or 8 network gigabit switch for 15-20 pounds, plug a couple of spare ethernet cables.

Despite what Chrisgixer is saying ethernet works fine.

Chrisgixer

Chrisgixer didnt say it didn’t work as sky themselves set them up with Ethernet

chrisgixer did say that they are designed to work over wifi.

the main reason people switch to Ethernet in the first place is due to the issues described here with crashing boxes and connection issues where the wifi needs a tweak from Sky technicians

Chrisgixer

Isp is Gigaclear

intention was to fit a booster but it wasn’t needed once set correctly

Chrisgixer

The mini is less than 30 feet away in the above room

annex is probably 60 feet away and is on an Ethernet cable over 100m long

Chrisgixer

Well Sky installed it. Then Sky came back and fixed it with settings. Nothing more.

all now fine.

Listen I don’t care what toe I have troden on but this is what happened. I didn’t write a book/film/play about it. If your system works bully for you

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
No toes, just pointing out you are wrong to advise a WiFi only solution to fix an issue where sky probably installed with direct wired between the boxes.

What difference do you think WiFi brings to steaming?

tom 2000

When the system was installed by Sky it was set up as follows:

Main Sky Q in one room adjacent to the router (Virgin) and one Mini in another room a way away.

The main box was connected via Wifi and the Mini connected via Ethernet (I had installed when I renovated).

All good until today when issues with network connection have started.

My WiFi is working well (100mb) but Sky Q cannot connect (reset a few times) and therefore Mini not working either.

So I thought I would switch to Ethernet - and this has worked (and probably improved speed) but seems to mean I now have to use WiFi for the Mini.

Why didn’t Sky installed multiple Ethernet connectors?

And can you buy splitters that would allow 2 connections and would the Sky Q box recognise this type of set up?
Q used to work on a mixture of Wi-fi and Ethernet but it appears this arrangement is now unstable. My own system is now traditional Ethernet with each box wired to home network. It is rock solid.
When Q was first introduced Wi-fi was the preferred connection however for some time now Ethernet takes priority if available.
it is possible you have “confused” it by switching things around. I suggest you start again. Turn everything off at the plug including your router. Turn it back on. Connect main box to router and power it back up. After 5 mins connect mini to router and power it up. Don’t react quickly if it doesn’t work give it time. Only start button pressing if it doesn’t all happen. Oh. And if you are definitely going wired then turn off Wi-fi on each Sky box using hidden engineers menu starting with main box before you power up the mini.

Chrisgixer

No toes, just pointing out you are wrong to advise a WiFi only solution to fix an issue where sky probably installed with direct wired between the boxes.

What difference do you think WiFi brings to steaming?
I think I see the problem here.

TJT1

Yep, it's clear enough. You are peddling incorrect information as fact.

Chrisgixer

In what way?

Chrisgixer

No I stand by that from experience here

You might be better explaining your experience there