Sky Q and a projector

ptanser

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

wondered if anyone can advise

I have a projector which supports 1080p / 50hz and 1080p / 60hz

if I use 60hz on any device its fine, however Sky Q mini only outputs at 50hz and I get a lot of banding when the camera moves or fast scenes (like sports and films), like a refresh issue, I have spoken to the manufacture of the projector and they cannot help.

its not just Sky Q as I have also tried it on Amazon Fire @50hz its the same but on 60hz its fine

is there a converter (non expensive) that I can get to upscale from the Sky's 50hz to 60hz ? will this resolve the issue ? or has anyone else got a suggestion.

Many Thanks

Peter

Upscaling is when you adjust the resolution of the image - what you are having issues with is Frame Rate Conversion and that is more difficult to accomplish well.

It sounds like your projector is a 'native' 60Hz device so whilst it accepts a 50Hz signal it is then converting that to 60Hz which is not ideal when you have any horizontal motion.

At a guess I would hazard that any decent quality device cable of improving the frame rate conversion will be more costly than the projector - which Projector do you have?

Joe

Hi

Thanks for the reply I have a Wimius P21

I know its not a top of the range projector (its only for a bedroom), but I wanted to use it for the Sky Q mini,

if I change the sky Q mini to a lower resolution its fine, but the quality is poor

its annoying as Amazon TV is fine, Blu-ray player is fine

What you are saying is 60Hz signals are fine - not the playback device.

Try forcing the BDP Output to 50Hz and see if you recreate the issue.

Joe

Hi

I have change the settings on the amazon tv to 50hz and that has the same banding as Sky, change it back to 60hz and its fine,

unfortunately I cannot change sky to by 60hz

Not something you can resolve easily or at low cost - something has to give on these devices and with the majority of the sales going into markets where 60Hz is the norm the manufacturers don't spend a lot on the processing chip set.

Joe

ok

thanks for your help, Sky needs to produce a different box then

'Sky needs to produce a different box then' - so that a handful of folk with a budget projector which does not correctly support 50Hz signals are happy :)

That is not going to happen - the problem is with with the projector not the source, where possible you always want to avoid any form of FRC (Frame Rate Conversion).

The projector manufacturers has targeted the 60Hz market - you require a different projector if 50Hz source content is a big part of your viewing.

Joe

I understand what you are saying however, other sources, including a basic Amazon fire stick and a 5 year old blu-ray player, work fine and the refresh can be changed, so it is a limiting factor of the sky box.

not everyone have thousands to chuck a projector for home use

'a 5 year old blu-ray player, work fine and the refresh can be changed' - you should not need (nor want) to change the Frame Rate, the Display device should properly deal with 50Hz if it is advertised as compatible.

Maybe look at an alternative projector and look for UK reviews to ensure 50Hz is properly dealt with.

Why would SKY, or any other broadcaster in the UK, consider 50Hz > 60Hz conversion as a requirement?

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom