Sky Q - 1st Impressions.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've had Sky Q for a few days now and juts thought I'd write a few thoughts and a question or two.

I dont have Sky Broadband or Sports BTW, just the F1 HD and Movies as premium channels.

I like the main 2TB box and the mini boxes are working perfectly for now. Considering one of them is 2 floors up its very impressive. The ability to get full Sky and watch recorded stuff in the bedroom is a massive positive. The blue "Q" on the front looks cool, but it's too bright and I wish they let you turn it down.

The touch remote infuriates me 80% of the time. The fwd/rwd/play touch buttons are rubbish and are worse in the dark. Plus scrolling the time bar whilst watching something is also clunky and annoying as the "previous channel"/"what's next" procedure is confusing.

I quite like the new UI personally, though why oh why does it not go to the guide when pressing the home button??! I dont give a fig about Top Picks. Just take me to the guide!

Talking of which,

Where have the +/- 24hrs buttons gone?!! I have to scroll all the way to look at something 7 days away?

Now 4K stuff. Films merely look a bit better. At 20gb it's hardly going to amaze compared to UHD Blu Rays. Documentaries look better. But content is all over the place!! Why cant Sky just a 4K section instead of having a mini 4K section in every category! Argh!

Also, is there any "live" 4K programs? I realise for now these are mainly football matches which I cannot watch, but if there is a 4K version of something, does the TV then show that OTA or is it all download only? If I look at 4K sports it shows a footy match and says to record this. If I look at the same match via the planner, it only shows in the info that it's in HD.

Overall I love it as we'll fully utilise most of it's capabilities, but there are some infuriating button procedures that are either missing or have gone backwards and take far too many presses to get what you want, and that I cannot fathom why someone would think it was a good idea to add or remove them.

Talking of which,

Where have the +/- 24hrs buttons gone?!! I have to scroll all the way to look at something 7 days away?

Use the FF and FR controls in the EPG.

Also, is there any "live" 4K programs? I realise for now these are mainly football matches which I cannot watch, but if there is a 4K version of something, does the TV then show that OTA or is it all download only? If I look at 4K sports it shows a footy match and says to record this. If I look at the same match via the planner, it only shows in the info that it's in HD.

Currently only football live in 4K, F1 in March.

The touch remote IS useless so don't use it, Sky want you to use Picks for some reason of their own, there's no way to change the blue thing but you can block it yourself, and FS has answered another question - there's only football in UHD live but plenty to download.
Of course we Harmony users have the answers to some points!

I must admit when it was installed the installer recommend the touch remote, I tried it and instantly hated it. Tried it again after about two days and now two weeks later I an getting used to it. At least Sky give you two remotes with the 2TB box so you have a choice. LG only give one (the Magic remote) with the OLED TV I purchased and I still do not like after two months but also getting used to it.

If you're in the TV guide and want to look ahead 24hrs then tap the >> icon

Cheers guys.

Oh two other gripes.

Why oh why, when I press "i" for info, do I then have to press the "back" button to get rid of the info screen?!? Why not keep it like before and press the same button to get rid of the info panel?!?

And why oh why does the info/channel banner stay on screen unless I press the back button?!? Previously I could choose how long it stays on screen.

So yeah a few aggravating things that have obviously been implemented before, but now taken away and quite obviously made worse.

Very odd changes but still, overall, very pleased with the upgrade.

Good luck with your Sky Q. I've had Sky Q for 4 months and on the whole it's great (apart from the irritations that have already been mentioned). I have found however that the hardware is quite flaky. The Q silver and minis crash on a fairly regular basis (on average once or twice a month each, though not at the same time). This is solved by a hard reset and once back up and running they're fine, but it is a pain.

For anyone whose interested I've found the minis will connect fine over a powerline network.

Get Sky back to fix it!

So I've had Sky Q for a few days now and juts thought I'd write a few thoughts and a question or two.

I dont have Sky Broadband or Sports BTW, just the F1 HD and Movies as premium channels.

I like the main 2TB box and the mini boxes are working perfectly for now. Considering one of them is 2 floors up its very impressive. The ability to get full Sky and watch recorded stuff in the bedroom is a massive positive. The blue "Q" on the front looks cool, but it's too bright and I wish they let you turn it down.

The touch remote infuriates me 80% of the time. The fwd/rwd/play touch buttons are rubbish and are worse in the dark. Plus scrolling the time bar whilst watching something is also clunky and annoying as the "previous channel"/"what's next" procedure is confusing.

I quite like the new UI personally, though why oh why does it not go to the guide when pressing the home button??! I dont give a fig about Top Picks. Just take me to the guide!

Talking of which,

Now 4K stuff. Films merely look a bit better. At 20gb it's hardly going to amaze compared to UHD Blu Rays. Documentaries look better. But content is all over the place!! Why cant Sky just a 4K section instead of having a mini 4K section in every category! Argh!

Overall I love it as we'll fully utilise most of it's capabilities, but there are some infuriating button procedures that are either missing or have gone backwards and take far too many presses to get what you want, and that I cannot fathom why someone would think it was a good idea to add or remove them.
2 floors up! Is that wirelessly?

2 floors up! Is that wirelessly?
Yes.

Sky bloke showed me some signal tests on his ipad and that one was reading 6300 ish. He said anything above 10,000 meant it not working and would need a booster, so he was quite happy leaving it as is.

I do have a good Netgear router though. He said do I have the BT one, and I said yes, but dont count on leaving here alive if you ask me to use it.

Sky Q and it's UHD content will be better when they start with HDR as it's not resolution alone...and let's not forget that is NOT 4k we currently don't own 4k tvs.

Sky Q and it's UHD content will be better when they start with HDR as it's not resolution alone...and let's not forget that is NOT 4k we currently don't own 4k tvs.
One should only buy a product for what it does now, not what it may offer in the future. And thats a fact.

One should only buy a product for what it does now, not what it may offer in the future. And thats a fact.
Technology doesn't work like that anymore I'm afraid...the general publics hunger to consume more and demand more has put a stop to this.

Technology doesn't work like that anymore I'm afraid...the general publics hunger to consume more and demand more has put a stop to this.
If anyone ever buys anything on a promise, your probably looking at the failed promise of a kiss. In other words - Tut tut, mug, tough.

SKY haven't even confirmed HDR, never mind promised it.

Yes.

Sky bloke showed me some signal tests on his ipad and that one was reading 6300 ish. He said anything above 10,000 meant it not working and would need a booster, so he was quite happy leaving it as is.

I do have a good Netgear router though. He said do I have the BT one, and I said yes, but dont count on leaving here alive if you ask me to use it.

Nothing to do with your router .... the sky q main box creates its own network which the minis connect to!

Good luck with your Sky Q. I've had Sky Q for 4 months and on the whole it's great (apart from the irritations that have already been mentioned). I have found however that the hardware is quite flaky. The Q silver and minis crash on a fairly regular basis (on average once or twice a month each, though not at the same time). This is solved by a hard reset and once back up and running they're fine, but it is a pain.

For anyone whose interested I've found the minis will connect fine over a powerline network.
Apologies for the ignorance as I build up my knowledge- By " hard reset", do you mean unplug the mini?

By " hard reset", do you mean unplug the mini?
It would be really good if people were unambiguous in what they say, especially when referring to things/operations that are not actually documented in the manual. Like you, I assume, but could be wrong, that he means a 'power cycle' (Switch off at the mains and then switch back on). There's another one to add to your list of useful phrases:D. It should be the first port of call for most electronic devices. But it could be that there is a reset button on the box?

Apologies for the ignorance as I build up my knowledge- By " hard reset", do you mean unplug the mini?
Sorry, yes unplug the mini from the mains, wait a minute then plug back in, I've found it's the quickest fix.

Nothing to do with your router .... the sky q main box creates its own network which the minis connect to!

That is true. He did tell me that so not quite sure why I mentioned the router. Oh well I put down to senility

Bloke did say though that he found the main box does not always play nice with 3rd party routers. Not sure why it should make a difference but there was no way I was putting up with BT's POS smart hub. Nothing but trouble.

Yep the touch remote is CRAP with a capital C.

But then again the whole new sky remote is as well, as things that you have done for 10 years or more no longer work, and the number of key presses to do anything have increased. Not to mention the badly laid out planner, where you lose half of the planner to menus on the side and a mini screen, and don't get me started about the up and down on the different TV guides, where on one you have to press UP to go from 101 to 102 and on the other you have to press DOWN.

Utter garbage the remotes, I think they know this as they give you 2 and the mini;s don't get touch ones either.

And relax.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh heh

And what's worse is at least with Sky HD you could turn off the mini screen.

With Q you have almost no personal adjustments. A few picture and sound options and that's it.

The up down farce is less of an issue with me cos it used to be like for ages.

What does it for me is the banner bar that never disappears unless you press the back button and that getting any info up on the screen to disappear means pressing a different button. Grrrrr.

Had sky q installed on the 28th Dec also have sky fibre which has always been solid connection. I got the 1tb box and a mini for upstairs bedroom all worked fine for two days solid then one morning the main box would not see the internet connection (the sky hub is about 3ft away from the main box) I was getting no images for the thumbnails and demand sections also,anyway I hard wired it with
Ethernet cable back up and running, next morning same fault switched it back to wifi no joy,back to Ethernet all working again. It's seems to go wrong when the box is powered down at nighttime. Last night I turned the standby function off altogether and going to see how that works out,touchwood been fine today anybody have similar issues or idea what is going on? Both boxes are also running the latest software. Apart from this issue I would be happy with the new system

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom