Sky Q - 1st Impressions.

You never know the next update could help with quicker access to the TV Guide.

Had a mini and booster added yesterday. So far so good, but they do seem to get really hot, too hot for my liking really.....

Getting to like my Sky Q even more as I have found my way around the UI. Definite improvement in the picture quality, albeit I had a new dish and cabling installed at the same time. Far easier exploring and finding downloadable content. Love the enhanced features on the Android app. Biggest niggle is not being able to select a particular screen when first switching on.

I found that going into settings and turning eco mode off it stays on the last channel you was on and you don't after exit top picks all the time

Guys chill maybe the guide will become quicker to access with the next update.:lesson:

To fix any page you like to start up with, dump the Sky remotes and get a Harmony instead.
I may have mentioned that before.:D

Really dislike the Sky Q remotes, both normal and touch are very slippery. Old Sky HD remote was quite grippy
Touch remote is awful as I hate the touch element. Like the normal remote as it's not the size of the old ' brick '. Look forward to the coloured buttons becoming more active.

I think Sky are going to struggle with SkyQ.

I'm verging on the stupid when it comes to buying new technology, it drives my wife insane... HTC Vive and 1080 on launch, ridiculous 1440p high hz monitors, 55" KS7000 with Xbox One S and almost 40 UHD Blurays in 4 weeks since getting the TV. My brain is completely detached from common sense.....

However.. Despite all that... Including already owning Sky, all channels, fibre, multiroom, HD etc... I haven't jumped on Sky Q.... Why? No HDR. I could upgrade right now and save £5 a month (£99 upfront cost tho).

It doesn't offer me anything... Without HDR I find it pointless, that's from somebody who can appreciate the minor difference... God knows what Joe Bloggs thinks of it on his 50" Polaroid TV, can't imagine he'd be singing it's praises. Mainly as 4K gives you relatively little visible difference due to viewing distance, which beyond a new UI and app is all you get. Ok you can record up to 1 squillion shows at the same time, again not so much of a priority.

Until Sky use there considerable clout and use it to push out oodles of 4K HDR content or at contract end im offered it completely free, install, kit and same monthly.... I won't be biting. If you can't convince somebody like me, you ain't got much hope of captivating the masses. As really, I should be the easiest sell. If they just added a decent selection of on demand HDR, I'd buy it right now. Even for a slight price increase.

Unless Sky get their act together I'll dump it and switch to freeview. Vast majority of my viewing is Amazon Prime Video or Netflix anyway, if it wasn't for them continuing to give me a good offer each year I'd be gone already.

Got sky q last Thursday the uhd content is massively visually better than anything I've watched and also hd content is superb it is indeed like a new viewing experience!!

Got sky q last Thursday the uhd content is massively visually better than anything I've watched and also hd content is superb it is indeed like a new viewing experience!!
I didn't think there had been any changes to the picture quality.

Really dislike the Sky Q remotes, both normal and touch are very slippery. Old Sky HD remote was quite grippy
Sky sell covers for the remotes - they make a massive difference to the usability

That's how they make money.

I've had Q for a few weeks. Few irritations for me, and some things seem like change for changes sake.

The main remote. Horrendous - actually the Sky HD remote, like the PlayStation controller, is something that was pretty much right first time.

The rewind / play / FF buttons :suicide:

Hate that the now / next isn't standard, nor is the visible clock when you change channels.

Also when the red button graphic is on the screen (ie for the golf just now, to watch another tournament) it actually dims my screen ever so slightly and it annoys me.

Can't record radio channels now either.

I don't have a 4K TV yet so the only upside is the wireless box for me, at present - versus 2Tb Sky+ HD

Number of improvements required IMO

Just put the touch remote in a draw and use the normal one. I actually now use Alexa for a lot of stuff including changing channel which is much easier :)

What's wrong with the now\next? It still shows what's on and the picture in picture bit is really useful.

After having it a year now the one thing I miss from TiVo apart from the advert skip is that it used to record channels in the background so I could switch to another channel and rewind that (if it was one of the last few channels I'd been to). Was a great feature.

Mickyd, I recorded a radio channel a couple of weeks ago, Absolute 80's (don't ask). Can't remember how I did it, I guess a manual recording. It's still sitting in my recordings list so I can't gave dreamt it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom