1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky PVR3 now only by Thompson??

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by sbaddison, Oct 14, 2005.

1. sbaddison

sbaddison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello.

I managed to upgrade my system to Sky plus today for £65 thanks to one of the other threads :)

I've read all about the problems with the Amstrad PVR3's so I phoned back to request a Pace box. I was informed that Pace or Amstrad no longer make PVR3's and all production has been handed to Thompson!!

Has anyone else heard this or am I being "fobbed off"?

Cheers,

Simon

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I would be surprised if both PACE and Amstrad had agreed to such small production runs especially as I suspect the PVR3 is going to be a big seller and surely only one supplier who will also make the SKY+ HD is not a great idea.

3. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the past Sky Call Centre staff have come up with all sorts of strange stories about what boxes are available - mainly suggesting manufacturers who have never made a Sky+ box ever.

I suspect that they need all three going to help feed their marketing drive. And this despite the Amstrad boxes having a design fault.

Roger

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    its quite possible Pace were asked to make the initial run to make sure people wanted to take them up....and then mebbe were promised control making the HD boxes with Thompson taking over the PVR3s......altho whats happened to Amstrad i wouldnt know..lol
    or all i've just said could be crap and the person on the phone was talking out of their beseated behind....

must admit, i ordered sky+ the very day before they switched, she feigned ignorance of both the new PVR3 and its 40hr limit.......said im thinking of the 160 box, i said nope......
    what galls me is the fact i know how contact centres work, and they dont just tell staff the moment they walk in the day a new setup launches what to do, they will tell them a few days or a week beforehand in a training session team by team....especially in this case as it wasnt just the box changing, but the whole Sky concept (meaning the move to Pic'n'Mix)......i dont like it when people lie to me, i work in a contact centre and quite happily meet targets etc, all without lying....(i know its hard to believe, but in my case its true..lol).

oh, i got lucky tho, the dude turned up a few weeks later to install with 2 Pace PVR3's..lol

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

We never have seen that Panasonic SKY+ have we?
    :)

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    whats this 40Hr limit all about?

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

In regard to approx recording time on the hard drive?

If so the PVR3 has a 160gig drive that is split in half with one 80gig partition for use by the user (giving 40hours of recording) and the other 80gig reserved for future use which looks like a VOD type PPV system. Content being downloaded via satellite when the box is not in use and then accessible as and when the viewer wants to watch or not as the case may be.

8. gd2

gd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thomson PVR3 installed today but also had Amstrads but no Paces. I didn't get the impression that any of them were not now available.

9. sbaddison

sbaddison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers :)

What's it like? 1st impressions etc.? And, does it have a toslink optical output on the back?

Thanks,

Simon

10. suprima50

suprima50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Baddison

My neighbour has just upgraded to sky + and he has also had to accept a Thompson box as they no longer make Amstrad or Pace, not that anyone would want an amstrad box. My neighbour has informed me that the Thompson box will be good, although he has acknowledged that it will not be as good as my Pace box. Let me know how you get on with the Thompson box? :confused:

Suprima50

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    hmm when i spoke to a sky installer a couple of weeks ago he said he only uses pace boxes as amstrad are "not up to standard" i hope he has a big pile of Pace STB's left.............

12. sbaddison

sbaddison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ta for the reply.

I, too would prefer a PACE box but apparently the PVR3 boxes have moved on a little from the "older" PVR2's. It should be much better than the Amstrad which friends have had fitted recently and now clicks like a bast**d!

The increased (double) recording time over the PVR2 should be worth it too :D

Who knows, I may still get a PACE on the day. Will keep you posted :smashin:

Cheers,

Simon

13. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    mmm i got a letter saying recomend a friend and sky will upgrade my pace v2 40gb to new 160gb which i believe will be the thompson??
    anyhow space isnt an issue, but pic quality is due to plasma etc.

so would it be a stupid idea to swap pace v2 for thompson160???

in future if space will be a prob i dont mind upgrading hd myself anyhow so is it worth taking the thompson?

14. sbaddison

sbaddison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I guess I was being fobbed off by an incompetent after all :mad:

Today's the day! Got my call from the engineer this morning and he quoted a 3-6PM call for the install. When I asked him if I'm getting a Thompson box, he said he'll either be allocated an Amstard or Pace :eek: I told him that I really wanted a Pace but he said he couldn't guarantee it but would see what he could do as boxes are allocated from Birmingham & I live in Coventry.

So... I phoned the 959595 nuber to complain. I was told that what I was told on Friday was a load of tosh and that Sky will not allow customers to dictate what boxes they get. I was also told that internally, all the boxes are identical!

So, I await 3-6PM today and will keep y'all posted.

Cheers,

Simon

15. sbaddison

sbaddison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi.

Got an Amstrad that ticks like a timebomb :mad: Will give it a few days to settle down and call to complain if it doesn't.

Cheers,

Simon

16. gd2

gd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thomson is the loudest box I've had, the fan is on most, if not all of the time. Why these boxes can't have slots on the top to let the hot air out is beyond me and the Thomson has no fan at the rear! After three years you'd think they could make a whisper quiet SKY + box!

There is an optical link on the back.

17. bowler900

bowler900

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I had a Thmson box installed this week, mine is almost silent.

18. bigpeterlg

bigpeterlg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know that we have currently amstrad's, thompson's and pace's being used to us at work at the moment and have a store full of them. they have all been issued by sky recently so i don't know what the call centre is talking about, is probably one of the creative fill in's for anyone that asks.

As far as am aware the three manfactures are still producing sky + at the moment, but production is being cut back whilst the new HD boxes are being built.

in regard to specifying a box to the engineer, the engineers like myself get a pile of boxes in the morning to cover the jobs we have. the boxes aren't normally specific to each customer just the job types like sky, Sky+, service boxes etc.

the engineer probably only had one type of box on his van and that was all he could install

19. bigpeterlg

bigpeterlg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would get a thompson box checked out on a service call if it doesn't settle down within 24 hours.

the amstrad pvr3 does have a noise problem and all engineers are aware of it even if they say the aren't. a engineer will need to assess it and if it is excessively noisy they can replace it with another box.