1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky -> PVR Noob question

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by CarbonToe, Oct 11, 2004.

Tags:
  1. CarbonToe

CarbonToe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried to look for this info on the web but I cannot find it, so please don't shoot me down in flames.

My VCR has just bit the dust and it's time to replace it with a PVR. I only have a limited budget (around £600) so unless someone screams or it doesn't do what I would like it to do (see below!) it's going to be a Pioneer DVR-720H-S.

Basically the features I'm after is a cross between a Sky+ 160 box and a DVD-RW recorder. I already have a decent prog scan DVD-R drive which is connected to my screen with comp leads and my amp for surr sound. The reason why I dont want a Sky 160+ box is cost (£400, I'd need a new dish and cabling, and I'd have to sign up to premium channels) and no DVD-RW output

So three questions:

a) What PVR?

b) Setup - Assuming DVR-720H-S - So how do I connect the Sky Box, my RF Aerial lead to the PVR? My Sky box only has Scart outputs and I really want the best quality picture so I'm assuming Scart->S-Video for picture and Left/Right Out -> In for audio. Aeiral out from wall socket into PVR, Aeiral out from PVR to TV. Also S-Video out to TV (Scart in on TV) and Audio Out from PVR into Optical in on Amp.

c) Functionality - Will this allow my other half to go into the 'timer' screen of the PVR select say Sky One (or Ch106) and when the PVR comes around to record the program the channel on the Sky box is turned to 106 and then the recording starts? (my video used to do this by having a IR 'blaster' on the top that used to turn the Sky box over, I cannot see this function on any of the PVRs and I don't want to have to control the PVR form the sky box as its very very basic!!

Thanks in advance for your help

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    In the UK we have a choice of only 2 true PVR's - Sky+ and TiVo. All the other recording devices are just glorified VCR's with a few having very basic PVR features.
    Sky+ is I believe £200 plus £10 p/m or subscribe to some premium channels (subscription by the back door really).
    TiVo can be bought for around £200 (all boxes are second hand now) plus £10 p/m or you can pay £200 up front and no more to pay for the lifetime of the box.
    You could add a DVD recorder to either of the above and still be within your £600 budget.

Sky+ has a built in dual sat tuners but will need new cable and LNB on your dish. TiVo will control a standard (or Sky+) sat box via Ir or you can buy an adapter to control the box via the serial port.
    It is then down to which you believe offers the best features. I own a TiVo so am only able to offer direct advise about the TiVo software/features. The main advantage to TiVo is that if you drop Sky you can still use it with cable or Freeview. Drop Sky and a Sky+ box becomes a large paperweight.

TiVo setup would be:
    Current Sky box as it is now. TV out from Sky to TV AUX input on TiVo. TiVo TV out to TV - all with scart leads. TiVo has a stereo phono output if you want the audio via an amp etc.
    If you add a DVD recorder then make sure you get one with RGB input & output and put this in the chain above between TiVo and TV also via scart.
    I would assume the setup for Sky+ would be very similar.

To record a program just go into the EPG screen, highlight the program and TiVo (and probably the same or very similar for setting Sky+) will change the Sky channel and record the program at the required time.
    Now some things that I believe only TiVo will do: If say Corrie is wanted but another program is recording at the same time TiVo will auto record the repeat on ITV2. If you want every episode of Corrie to be recorded then set a season pass and even if the football moves the time TiVo will still find it and record it. If a season pass is set for a sitcom, when the series finishes the season pass stays on TiVo so when a new series starts it will record the new series.

Mark.

3. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    As a Sky+ owner, I can't recommed it highly enough. It's so easy to use and the quality is (to my eyes) excellent. As Mark said get either Sky+ or Tivo and buy a recorder.

I've used a Toshiba combined HDD/DVD recorder and it wasn't a patch on Sky+.

4. CarbonToe

CarbonToe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I was under the impression that the digital outputs on Sky+ boxes were crippled?

Since posting i've been offered 1pound installation but i have to spend 150 on the box and up my sub. It does sound like a good dea if i can install a decent hdd and sort out the outputs!