Sky pull a fast one

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by tausifs, Apr 27, 2007.

1. tausifs

tausifs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    I got a call from Sky yesterday offering me Movies and Sports for only £2.50/month for 3 months only, right to cancel after.

I currently am on Sky HD, multiroom, 4 mixes.

Seemed like a great offer so I said yes after confirming I had heard the cost correctly. I then asked them a general billing question coz they said they charge 1 month in advance and I didn't follow how they derived their figures. The salesperson then said they would put me through to a supervisor to better explain.

Anyway, when this supervisor finally came on the line, I asked them about the offer I had just been told about. They said that as currently , my Sky + is included in the HD subscription, if I wanted to take up the above offer, they would "have to" charge me £10 for the Sky + as well, meaning the total cost of the offer would be £12.50/ month for 3 months (sports and movies).

I felt that was a bit of a cunning ploy. I wouldn't have minded if they had said it was an offer for £12.50 from the outset cos that still is worth considering but was appaled at how they had mislead me. I am sure others have been made the same offer, just beware...

2. stockyvillage

stockyvillage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    i thought sky had now made sky+ free to anyone taking packages now?

3. ian-d

ian-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Nope, that was just forum speculation geoff. Sky Plus is only 'technically' free when taken with Sky HD, or with a premium package (i.e. sports or movies), otherwise its £10/month

4. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,164
    So, if the Sky+ is £10 per month and the total will be £12.50 per month for what they are offering - how much does that make the movie / sport subscription they offered you??

5. ian-d

ian-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I'm not convinced thats the deal, seems radiculously cheap for the whole service including multiroom etc.

6. count zero

count zero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Sky do tend to bill in an odd way. I recently cancelled sky movies from my package and received a revised bill. Basically it said your new package is £41 p/m (excluding offers), you will be direct debited £31 on whatever date, followed by £41 p/m (excluding offers).

When I rang sky they said the bill was for

6 mix(£21) + sky+(£10) + skyHD(£10) = £41(excluding offers)

but I would only pay £31 since the sky+ fee is waived if purchased with skyHD.

Not sure if what the supervisor meant is that your total bill(excluding offers) would appear to go up by £12.50, but that you would only actually pay £2.50 more or not.

Seems to me it is like the 'buy 2 get 1 free' offers at the supermarket. They actually scan both items giving a total bill, then the discounts are applied and the total you pay appears.

cheers, count

7. tausifs

tausifs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    The offer was for 3 months of sports and movies for £2.50, on top of (£38) HD sub, multiroom and 4 mixes. But they outrageously would have also started to charge you £10 for Sky plus too and would only have told you about it if you had asked the right questions. Get it ??

8. breadbun

breadbun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Dont talk to me about Sky billing! 3 months since I rejoined and they havent got it right yet! 3rd month and they have ALMOST got it right, apart from billing me £17 for Sky Connect Broadband, when I am on Sky Max broadband!

9. ian-d

ian-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Ah i see, i'd missed the point on the original post. Seems strange that they want you to pay Sky Plus of £10 when you have HD at £10. Its still a better deal than you would have otherwise, but might not be worth it if you don't really care of the movies and sports.