1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ Programming - Is there an easier way?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Chibouk, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Chibouk

Chibouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I had Sky+ fitted yesterday and I was fortunate enough to get one of the new v3 80gb boxes. Anyway, I'm finding my way around it fairly well, as I previously had a TiVO for a number of years.

My question is, is there a quick way to find programmes to record, or add to the list for recording later? With the TiVo you could do a search by programme title, but with Sky+ you can't seem to do that. I want to set up series links for a number of programmes, but so far I've had to scroll through pages and pages of programmes to find one of the ones I want.

Any advice to speed it up? ;)

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    There is an A-Z listing which you can also do by genre. The EPG on Sky is largely limited by the information supplied to it by the TV companies themselves, and in the case of the smaller companies it can often be badly wrong ! On ITV3, for example, it is not unknown to see the synopsis of a completely different programme when you press the "i" button :rolleyes:

3. Chibouk

Chibouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks Nick. Doing the A-Z search was something I'd tried, but it was nowhere near as quick and accurate as the TiVO search. I suppose there has to be a trade-off somewhere. ;)

I've just thought of another question. Do you all leave your Sky+ box on all the time, or is it recommended to switch it to stand-by when you're not watching TV?

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I used to leave it on all the time, but this leaves you at risk of programme clashes (i.e. you have 2 programmes scheduled to record at the same time, then you leave the box unattended on a third channel), so now I always switch it to standby.

5. Chibouk

Chibouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks again Nick. I've learnt something now. So if the Sky+ box is recording 2 programmes at the same time, but you're watching another channel when the time comes to record, doesn't the box change channel automatically? Does the box need to be tuned into one of the channels you're recording for it to record what you want?

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It hasn't happened to me often, but I seem to recall that you get a warning message about 5 minutes before the recordings start, warning you that to continue to watch a channel, you will have to cancel one of the recordings. I've usually panicked at this point, and switched over manually :) I think that if you do nothing, it cancels one of the recordings, but I could be wrong.

7. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Nick is correct, you get a warning that a program clash is going to happen and you should change to one of the channels you are about to record.

John

8. uk_jih

uk_jih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If you do not respond to the message, it automatically switches to the program that is to be recorded.

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Thanks for that. I suspected that might be the case, but I've never trusted it :)

10. Chibouk

Chibouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ahhh... good news. Thanks Nick and everyone else. :)