1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY Programme menus Slow

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by mk, Feb 20, 2002.

1. mk

mk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have a Grundig digibox purchased (yes purchased £199) three years ago. The programme menus, to view channels and times etc are very slow in companision to a newer panasonic box i have seen. In fact the Panasonic is streets ahead in displaying the programmes. Is it just because mine is older or is it because its not plugged into BT> any suggestions welcome .....

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It's just age:)
    Every new model of digibox has faster processors and probably more memory. As the requirments of the EPG and Personal Planner have increased the older first generation boxes can not match the performance of the latest models.

It doesn't affect the mpeg2 decoding of course which is the main requirment of a didgibox.

3. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    I am in the same position with my old pace box - which i also paid for about 3 years ago. Recently a friend subscribed to sky and got a Sony box. The difference in speed is incredible, and the really annoying thing is that he is only paying for the absolute basic package, whereas i pay £30 a month, and have to put up with my pace box. - very frustratiing indeed.

I think it is time that sky offered a subsidised replacement box, to older subscribers like us. I wouldnt even mind if it meant signing up for another years contract (as with a new subscription package). They must know that there a lot of us in the same position with these old/slow boxes, and it would save us hunting round for a 2nd hand one, or taking the laborious route of cancelling/re-subscribing, to get a new box.

Dean

4. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    our old amstrad is the same, the EPG is really slow and its slow changing channels, also if you flick up and down a lot then it randomly goes to the interactive menu. Ive used a later panasonic which was much faster, which is annoying considering we payed for ours