Sky problems

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Rochdale, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had sky installed last saturday and I'm having a few problems.

I live in a new building which has a tv signal distribution system, there is no need for a dish you just plug your box into a wall. Thank god for independant installers, the big name stores wouldn't touch an install without a dish, chimps.

Anyway, I'm getting a no signal message on certain channels. It seems to be a signal problem rather than a subscription problem because it's affecting some FTA channels as well as pay ones. It seems to be channels on Astra 2A south that I'm not getting, BBC and Discovery. Would it be more likely that the dish is misaligned or that the distribution system isn't working properly? The channels I do have are excellent quality but some are just not there.

I did get BBC 1 and 2 for about 5 minutes the other day but the quality was awful.

Is there any way to test this without messing with the dish? Are any of the BBC channels I'm missing broadcast on another satellite that I can tune into manually?

The engineers for the distribution system are coming around on Friday but they will be wasting their time it the dish is misaligned.

2. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to add, it's a very new building and I'm the first person actually living in it. So I'm sort of beta testing the tv system.

3. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They think the dish is fine, but they now think the two amplifiers they have on the distribution system are causing the problems.

They are coming back on monday :rolleyes:

4. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Still not fixed despite 2 more visits from the engineers that installed the distribution system.

I phoned Sky and they reckon the dish is misaligned. The guys that installed the dish assure me it couldn't be misaligned. :rolleyes:

I made a list of the chanels I'm missing and they are a mixture of H and V polarity high band chanels on Astra 2A south. Everything else be ig H or V, High or Low band is spot on.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Is there any way to tap into the dish output directly and bypass the distribution system altogether?
    I know who ever installed the dish can slap on a meter and take a reading but you can't beat actually hooking up a digibox and looking at the picture.
    Have you tried a different digibox, could very well by a tuner fault in the early stages.

6. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unfortunately I don't have access to another digibox until this saturday, but other than these missing channels on 2A everything else is perfect.

Sky reckon the signal quality reading on the box is a bit low as well.

I'll just have to wait for the engineer to show up again.

7. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Engineer hasn't shown up again yet but has apparently told the site manager that it's my digibox thats at fault and that he's coming out next week with a different one to prove it....

So I'm heading him off and borrowing a digibox from a friend today to see if he's right :D

Hope he's wrong, if they have to re-cable my flat I'll try and persuade them to put two cables in so I have the option of upgrading to Sky+ later :D

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    New buildings with TV distribution systems have got to start considering the need for more than one digital input to each flat/apartment. Pretty short dighted planning or perhaps just ignorance on the part of the designers who do not realise a single digital signal can't be split into two or more independent feeds and routed around a dwelling like an analogue RF system.

If he does have to sort the cable out then maybe installing a twin cable inside a single sheath which might be an easier option for him compared to laying two seperate cables.

9. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got the other digibox connected up and although it only has FTA chanels on the card it shows the same problems as when my new digibox is connected, so that rules the box out.

Still no BBC1 or BBC2, and the same interference on the terrestrial sources.

I reckon someone has stuck a nail through my cabling somewhere, either that or there is a larger problem with the distribution system.

I'll be advising the engineer to come prepared for other problems :)

10. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My brother had a problem that sounds like yours .

He had channels missing .They kept comming out and looking at it . they changed the box , the dish and all the cabling on diferent visits .The only thing it seemed to do was start a few of the chans working and stoped others working .In the end they just gave in and so did my brother.

It was an independent installer that did the orig install and it was the same people that tryed to solve it . Six months after there last visit he contacted sky again .This time they sent out one of there own people .They changed the cable and all was fine

The only thing i could think of is that the reel of cable was duff (even though it was suposed to be good stuff) .Could be your installers got there hands on the same stuff
    :(

11. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Sky installer only fitted the cable from the wall to the digibox and this has already been replaced by the distribution engineers because they blamed it first of all. The replacement was exactly the same as the original.

The distribution system guys are coming back in force on Wednesday so I'll see what happens then.

Someone else has moved into the building but doesn't have Sky, I haven't met him yet or I would have asked to see what happens when we plug my Sky box into his wall socket :)

12. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had the engineers in all day and after lots of testing, and me having to convince them twice that it wasn't my digibox, they have discovered that it is the cable running between the riser and my flat.

So at the moment I have a fully working Sky system being fed from a cable snaking across my floor.

They think they are going to have to make several holes in my ceiling to recable which is going to be messy.

I asked if they could run two cables instead of one so that I can upgrade to Sky+ if I want to :D

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Probably the best result all things considered.
    Since you have been put to such trouble and they are going to have to do some messy work the least they can do is lay another cable and whoever controls the distribution system should let you have a second connection.

14. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They put two cables in on Tuesday, both are working fine :D

Well, they are working fine except late at night when the BBC chanels go off.... :confused:

Might look at Sky+ soon :D