1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky+ problems

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Blu-rayx, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    i live in a rented flat but i want sky+.

problem 1:
    i can't have a dish outside, can the dish work inside (don't laugh), my flat is very big so it will not be a problem because i have an upstairs were you will not see the dish.

problem 2:
    i phoned sky a few weeks ago saying i have a sky socket, so can i use the sky+ box they said no the connections are different, i will have to have a mini dish installed.

can someone please tell me if this is true because she took about 2 min to find this out.

thanks

dvd

2. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    When you say you have a Sky Socket, is this connected to a communial dish?

You will need two feeds from a dish to the Sky+ box to use all the features.

As to using a dish through a window, a perfect line of sight MAY work but the glass would reduce/defuse the signal.

If the Sky Socket is connected to a communial dish AND you can arrange another feed into the flat then there is no reason why, as far as I can see, you could not have Sky+ installed.

If you can only get a single feed, then look at a TIVO, will not allow you to record one channel while wtaching another but will give you better PVR features.

Have you asked the landlord if you could fit a Sky dish?

Explain about Sky+ and the fact that it needs a second feed and he may be ok with it.

You do not need a mini-dish as such, infact a normal solid 90cm round dish would give you a better signal which helps when using the quad LNB due to the geometry of the minidish, each feed will get a different signal strength.

If all else fails, you could ask next door if you could run an extension from their Sky Socket (assuming they do not use it) into your flat thus giving you the two feeds required.

Guy

3. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    hi,guy
    thanks for your help,you seem to know a lot about sky+ do you work for them!!

yes it is a communial dish,when i asked about the sky+ they did say i need a second feed and it would be expensive.

does the landlord pay for the second feed or sky?

thanks

dvd

4. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    I think that would be you paying for the second feed, and only then if the landlord is prepared to let you route another feed to your location.

Mark

5. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    No, I do not work for Sky in anyway, else I would not have suggested the Tivo as a possible solution. Just information I;ve picked up.

The key to getting a landlord to allow you to do something is to make them think they are getting something for nothing.

There will be a cost in getting a Second feed installed and as you have access to a communial dish, that would be your best option.

It may be as simple as disconnecting the Analogue Cable to the UHF Roof Aireal and connecting it to a feed off the distibution box for the communial dish.

It may be as complex as having to thread a new cable throgh the building.

You need to find out how easy it would be to run a second feed from the distribution box of the communial dish. Whether the owners of the flat complex will allow you to do this. At what cost to you and if your landlord would be willing to pay for it (most unlikely), splt the costs or require you to pay the full cost (more than a good chance).

If the block owners will not/cannot run a new second feed, you will have to look at the option of converting the TV Arieal cable into a second feed. The Sky line of thinking is that you must not break the cble from dish to box BUT I use F-Connection Termination plates in my installation at home and have had no problems what so ever. If the Arieal socket and the Sky socket are next to each other, great. This option depends on the configuration and location of the areial distribution to the Sky Distribution. You may be able to run a fly-lead from your cable to the Sky feed and use that. Not recommended but in theory at least should work.

As to using a dish through the window, that would be a last resort option and you will have to use an independent installer. Explain exactly what you require and if you find somebody willing to try, make sure you can at least get the cost of the Sky+ box back if it fails.

If you can only get a single feed but must have PVR features, Tivo would be a good option to look at. It will not record one channel while watching another but you can watch a recorded channel while recording another.

Running a cable from your neighbour would work unless of course they already have Sky and are using the feed.

Good luck,

Guy

6. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    just phoned sky about the dish they say it will only work outside and now they say i need my own dish :mad:

i'll just have sky and go for the tivo :)

thanks for all your help everyone.

dvd