1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY+ Problem

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Scaleyback, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

I'm currently having a problem with Sky+ thats driving me nuts;

On nearly every Sky channel I get pixellation and frame freeze, but not when watching BBC and HTV through Sky.

I've had a look at the Input 1 and Input 2 and results are as follows;

Input 1 Signal Strength - About 50%
    Input 1 Signal Quality - varies from 0-25%
    Lock indicator - OK

Input 2 Signal Strength - varies from 0-50%
    Input 2 Signal Quality - Varies from 0-25%
    Lock indicator - Sometimes OK, sometimes Not Locked

Occasionally, I can be watching a programme and a message suddenly appears telling me that 'No satellite signal is being received' and at other times 'there is a technical fault with this channel, please try again later'

I rang Skys' technical helpdesk and re-did all the switching off, switching back on, wait 60 seconds and then power back on nonsense but this didn't help. The guy then talked me through a system reset and again, this didn't help either.

I've checked the connections in the back of the box but haven't yet ventured onto the roof of the garage to check the LNB connections (guess what I'm doing Saturday morning).

Any other ideas as to what it could be which may save me a trip up the ladders? :lease:

Thanks in advance

2. Clabs

Clabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Scaleyback. I would say that your input strengths look a little low - they should be in the region of 70-90%. The the symptoms you describe are classic of a slightly mis-alligned dish so it sounds like a trip up the ladder will be required to re-adjust.

You can do this yourself with the help of a mobile phone and someone on the other end of it relating the picture strength back to you from your tv screen. It might be that your lnb is not fitted squarely on it's bracket (I had this problem). If you have to move the dish, be warned, you will only need to move it a very small amount.

I would also add that you shouldn't attempt this unless you are ok with ladders and heights - it just aint worth it. If it's been in less than a year then get the sky bods back to do it.

Hope this helps. Clabs

3. Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the response.

I climb telegraph poles for a living(BT) so the height wont bother me but i'm a bit ham fisted with the technical adjuster (hammer), so I'll take care with that.

I've just had a butchers and the LNB seems a bit skewiff to my eyes so I'll straighten that up as well.

I'll post back with my findings

Thanks again

4. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The lnb does sometimes look a bit off center. This is normal, it's called skew.However, when you get up there have a look at the lnb housing. Somewhere there are the numbers 1-5. The skew for the vast majority of places should be set at 3. The main thing to check is the elevation of the dish.On the rear bracket that is screwed to the dish face you will find some numbers.A good starting point is 25.Also take a compass with you just to make sure the whole thing is pointing in the right direction. If you know your latitude and longitude this site will help:
    http://www.hansa-electronic.com/satcalceng.asp

5. Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Woohoo!

All sorted :thumbsup:

Somehow my dish had dropped about 1/2 inch. Gave it a shove and Bobs your mothers brother.

C'mon the Lions!! (Bar this mornings slip-up)