Sky+ problem

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by kazzup, May 24, 2004.

1. kazzup

kazzup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sky+ giving vertical stripes during night time viewing on all channels when viewing programmes with dark material.

see pictures. sorry about the quality.

any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Well the obvious one, are you sure it's the SKY+ and not the telly?

Do you see the same image when viewing on both RGB and PAL, what about s-video and the RF connection. If possible try a different scart cable and try both scart sockets on the SKY+ (VCR scart only composite) and try alternate scart sockets on the telly as well.
    Disconnect all other AV equipment connected to the TV either directly or via pass through and check that the RF frequencies used by your local transmitter are well away from those used by device with RF modulators onboard.

If you've tried all of these and you've confirmed you only see this effect when using SKY+ (regardless of connection method and TV input) then it's safe to assume it's a hardware problem with the box although exactly what I couldn't say.
    If you are still under warranty then make the call.

3. kazzup

kazzup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Starburst.

I have tried everything you have suggested nothing seems to make a difference. The funny thing is when viewing during the day you dont see anything.

Well just have to call Sky, see what they say.

4. adrian3221

adrian3221

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Is your box an Amstrad or Pace as I have noticed similar lines on my Amstrad but put it down to interference from my scart switch box.

5. kazzup

kazzup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It is a new Amstrad DRX180 box.
    The problem must be with the box as i've had a normal sky box (panasonic) in the same place for years without a problem.

6. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    OOOOoooooooooo -

On that basis I wont be touching an Amstrad Sky+ box ever!!!

7. kazzup

kazzup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sky engineer coming out on Thursday, lets see what he says.
    By the way the Amstrad box is very loud even in stanby mode, dont know if this is the norm.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

If that's your attitude I hope you never read about the soft focus issues that plagued some of the PACE version2 units and was unresolved for well over 6 months:)
    If you decide to steer clear of PACE as well then you'll have to make do with something other than SKY+ :)

9. Lawe

Lawe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going by what others have said, I am glad that a Amstrad box has been fitted (I never knew I would say that :) )
    I was one of those Pace box or else brigade and I'm glad that I have given this box a chance to earn it's place.
    O.k it has it's small faults, slow in changing channels (Do Pace boxes have the same fault?) and the fan noise. I cured that problem by buying a glass fronted AV cabinet, which has 6 separate places and made sure I never fitted the back. This keeps the AV cool as I have a Air vent behind and the fan sound to a bare minimum.
    I also had to buy it because my little one was getting to clever in operating the dvd player and pulling the card out of the Sky. He's only 19 months old. Next he will work out my pin number and that's it. It's bad enough the Wife knows it . . . :laugh:

10. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    FYI

I have 2 Sky+ V1 boxes both with 120gb HD's and installed by me.

I feed this through a Home Theatre PC that scales it for my Sony 10HT to project an image 6ft across. Softness isnt an issue - Ive been going through the forums at DigitalSpy since Sky+ came out and cant say Ive seen this particular issue mentioned - maybe I just missed it.

Granted - new products do tend to have issues. Though my first Sky+ box I puchased off the shelf when it first came out (£299 ouch!!!) has never had a problem.

The 40Gb HD died on the second box I purchased in Sep 2003 so put in a 120gb drive.

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    The problems with the image quality were specific to a few batches of the version2 PACE SKY+, the same fault occured in the PACE TWIN Freeview HD recorder which indicates it was probably a component problem that was common to both systems.
    Neither the PACE version 1 SKY+ nor the Amstrad SKY+ have the same problem and it's worth mentioning that there are thousands of version 2 boxes that were fine.

I'm still using my original SKY+ purchased when the system launched, it has the original "noisy" hard drive as well, never got it swapped out since it was very quiet although louder now after nearly three years of hard use:)

12. kazzup

kazzup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sky engineer came out on Friday. Well I think he was engineer, he didn't really know what was causing the problem, he suggested I change scart leads, but I informed him I had changed them 3 times plus the one I had now cost £60.

In the end he replaced the Amstrad with a Pace box and that cured the problem. Now during night viewing there is no interference.

On a side note one of my friends has had Sky+ fitted this week and has the Amstrad box he too has upgraded from standard Sky and he also gets the vertical line interference the same as mine, Probably could be a bad batch of Amstrad boxes.

13. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,351
    I've not noticed this on my Amstrad box, but will have a look later tonight. The fan on mine is whisper quiet and I've never noticed any king of noise coming from it.
    No doubt now I've said this it will go tits-up tonight !

14. JamesG

JamesG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I've seen this too on my Sky+ box, it's there all the time but only really noticeable during dark scenes and with low ambient light (i.e. in the evenings). I'm not sure about getting it swapped for an older STB though - what is the difference between the Amstrad and Pace Sky+ boxes?

15. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    In the past I've had interference bands on Sky caused by poor quality earthing and interference from other houses, it was only in the evenings.

StooMonster

16. kazzup

kazzup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If your happy with your box keep it, but if you mention the interference it does seem to bother you, it certainly did irritate me.

The Pace box is slightly smaller that the Amstrad, I dont know the exact measurements but width wise it is about 1 or 2 cm smaller, plus on the front face the card slot and power button are at the opposite side to the Amstrad. The Pace is also very quiet, but this could be due to the Amstrad being faulty, so cant really compare that as i've not yet seen any Amstrad box that does work properly.

17. screemer

screemer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    This problem is exactly the same as my problem and i too have the Amstrad DRX180??? Phone call to sky do u think?

18. kazzup

kazzup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If it bothers you like it bothered me definately call Sky. They will send someone out to check. But make sure you record something that shows the problem during the night because, Sky engineers only work days :) Then when the engineer comes you'll have to close the curtains and turn up the brightness a bit to show up the problem :rolleyes:

19. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If its noise generated at night it probably won't show in the recording because it will be produced after the decoder (unless the recording is played at night). Remember Sky+ records the digital bitstream without modification.

20. kazzup

kazzup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I'm no techie but, you could see the fault when playing back recorded material during the day.

All I can say is that since my Sky+ box was exchanged I dont get that problem anymore.

21. screemer

screemer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Yep i quickly recorded a section of a film that showed it up bad last night. Just put it on now and its as clear as anything so long as the sun isn't shining LOL. So did u ask for a Pace box or just dropped lucky? Also noticed a very high pitched buzzing developing???

22. ipd56

ipd56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    i have had sky+ for 2 weeks , had a pace fitted good picture and sound and box was fast but went to back up on to video and no sound so after having it for 9 days sky came had no pace so you guest it a Amstrad DRX180 and watching it that night it got the same with my picture and i can see it in the day sometime and the more i watch it the more i see it . rang sky today and coming out to look at it, i hope it fully working new pace box lol i can hope. :lease: :laugh:

23. stevestarr13

stevestarr13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the same problem too, 2 amstrad boxes in a week and same poor pq on both, mainly on the movie channels

24. tomsky

tomsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have had sky + for the last 2 weeks and have also noticed the lines on the screen,which can be very annoying anyway what i did was go into the picture settings and turn scart control to off since then no lines, :clap: :D Well none that i have noticed anyway :laugh: let me know if this helps.cheers Tommy :hiya:

25. dAVefaulkner

dAVefaulkner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK but now you have to manually select the Sky box on your TV, which if you've got a Panny TV and DVD plugged into TV, is a problem because the TV won't auto-switch to DVD when you turn the DVD on. A pain for wife/kids to cope with.

26. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    But that is great news for me. I am getting Sky+ put it next week and the thought of those horrible lines on my nice new 42" plasma was a horrible thought! At least I know if I get the Amstrad box I can remove the lines, and the auto-switch is irrelevant for this plasma anyway.