1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ Problem, suggestions needed.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Gillsfan, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Gillsfan

Gillsfan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have had Sky+ for the last 6 months and loved every minute of it. Its an excellent service and I didnt want to give it up til the storm on the 7th Jan which knocked the dish & extension bracket off of the side of my house.

To cut a long & complicated story short, Sky wont re-fit the setup as they believe with it may happen again & as we are extremely limited on where we put it on our house we are having to go back to Telewest.

Problem is im so used to the PVR & easy to use system that I really want to replace it with something simlar. I know there are various PVR recorders, but is there any that links in well with Telewest? I really need it easy to use for the missues. Is Tivo any good?

Other problem is that i cant get Freeview otherwise I wouldve gone down that route. Unless I get a wideband ariel fitted ( any ideas on how much it will cost to do that? ).

Any advice you guys can give would be great! thanks

2. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +900
    Why don't you get an independent installer to put the dish back up?

3. Gillsfan

Gillsfan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The guy sky sent round was an independant.

The problem is that its a staggered terrace house with large trees in the path of the satellite signal. Theres only a small area it can be fitted and the guy reckoned he couldnt do it because it only had a single layer of bricks on that are he had to fit it and with it being so high up he reckond the wind would rip it out again.

Before the independant guy came out we had three engineers say they couldnt fit it because of health & saftey issues.

4. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gillsfan,

Sorry to hear about your dish problems. We have to have our dish on a high mast in the garden because of being surrounded by tall trees and the only place on the roof facing the signal was blocked by a large yew tree. We eventually had to have one tree felled and branches lopped to get a clear signal. Is it possible for you to have one put in your garden, or possibly set in concrete alongside your house. It wasn't prohibitively expensive to get the tall mast, it is set into earth.

I can't answer your other questions. I do hope you manage to find a solution with Sky.

5. RiskyLuca

RiskyLuca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    "To cut a long & complicated story short, Sky wont re-fit the setup as they believe with it may happen again & as we are extremely limited on where we put it on our house we are having to go back to Telewest.

Problem is im so used to the PVR & easy to use system that I really want to replace it with something simlar. I know there are various PVR recorders, but is there any that links in well with Telewest? I really need it easy to use for the missues. Is Tivo any good?"

Hi there.

Going back to one of your original points about going back to Telewest - they've just announced that they're launching a 160gb PVR - read the full announcement here:-

http://ir.telewest.co.uk/phoenix.zhtml?c=76808&p=irol-newsArticle&t=Regular&id=665136&

Hope this helps.