SKY problem - blocky, freezing picture

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Vladman, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Vladman

Vladman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all,

My girlfriend has had her SKY box for a couple of years, and several months ago, started having these problems. As far as she can remember, she hasn't done/changed anything, this simply started happening all of a sudden.

The picture would freeze or get all blocky (like colour squares on parts of screen), and this gradually became worse and worse to the point where the SKY box became unusable. At first, switching it off and then back on would cure the problem for 10, 20 minutes, but in the end, the moment you switch it on, the picture would be blocky and freezing all the time.

She called SKY and they were not very helpful at all, said they'd charge minimum £60 for the engineer to come out.

She has now given up on SKY and cancelled, but still has the box and we are both wondering if there's a way to determine what went wrong, and if the box is faulty, or if something else was to blame.

I'm sorry I'm not providing any technical info - the reason is I don't really know much about satellite receivers, but will gladly provide any info you may need to help me troublshoot this.

The box was connected directly to a normal CRT TV via a scart cable, no VCR or anything.

Many thanks in advance,

Vlad.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    It could be a number of things.
    The LNB exposed to the weather for a couple of years could have malfunctioned or the cable/connections between the digibox and LNB wear out and allow water to enter and destroy the capability to carry a signal to and from the LNB.
    The digibox tuner itself could be failing, some models of digibox do have specific problems which occur after long use.
    Dish alignment could also be an issue but that perhaps isn't the case now if the box does perform for a while after a reboot.

The call out price is reasonable, it would have covered all parts and labour upto replacing every single bit of the system to get the viewing back.
    Pity she got a CS rep who wasn't willing to play ball and offer either a cut price or free call out to keep the subscription active:(

The best eway to check the system yourself is to give your digibox to someone else to try on their dish and then if it's ok try their digibox on yours, that will isolate the problem to some degree.

3. srobbo999

srobbo999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What type of digibox is it. If it is a Panasonic box the problem could be due to a software update from Sky, mine did the same thing in November, I got so p*****d off with it that I upgraded to Sky plus. One way to solve the problem is to go into picture settings and change it from RGB to PAL. You dont get the same picture quality but the pixelation and freezing will go away. The old box is now upstairs connected to the portable, with a freeview card.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

4. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Let us know the make and model then we might be able to steer you in the correct direction. Certain makes, models have common faults.

5. Vladman

Vladman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the replies guys, will try the RGB to PAL trick, and will get the model number and let you know.

Thanks a lot.

6. Vladman

Vladman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Right.

The model is: Amstrad SkyDigibox DRX300

I tried the RGB to PAL trick, it didn't work. :(

7. Vladman

Vladman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    sorry about bumping.

anyone...?

thanks.

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    That model suffered from a overheating tuner, if I recall correctly. Given the age of the box, it's probably not worth repairing.