Sky Price Increase, Cancelling and number porting

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In anticipation of the £2.50 a month increase on my Sky broadband I have started to shop around. So far Vodafone, Plusnet and NOW look the best all around deals. Unless Sky play ball and cancel the price increase as I will tell them I will leave, I will leave. The contract allows for that without penalty
What's interesting is that everyone seems to say I can port my landline number, or at least imply that. But Vodafone say no. On chasing them up they don't seem to know the exact reason but say they get it a lot and will give me a new number and day after live I call them up and they will apply my old number which is safe for 7-14 days. Looking at their forums it seems to work
Be a shame to leave Sky but my current £25 is no longer that competitive although their customer service has been excellent on the rare times I've needed it.

Thoughts ? Anyone going through the same thing ?

Last edited:
If you move to Now broadband which is £20 pm, I’d have thought there would be no problem keeping your phone number.

Thats what I thought as well. Better package as well

Guy at Zen was puzzled by Vodafone's comment as they put a request to port in and as long as the line is still active Sky release the number. Sounds like VF can't be bothered to put the effort in

Last edited:
I had Now years ago, but can’t speak for the customer service, I just plugged it in, followed the instructions and it worked fine till I left lol. From memory I think it was when I moved to virgin media, they can take hours to contact but once you manage that there were good.

Plus there’s a chance they just leave the router as it is and change you over to now billing.

Hoping to get the same. Sky has been almost faultless in 6 years. They can be slow to get hold of as well but once contacted have been pretty good. Sky own NOW of course but they operate separately, I think. But NOW will use the same Sky unbundled equipment at my exchange. Or at least I assume they will

Spoke to UNO today and they were very helpful. They explained that their processes/systems can't access anything on Sky's LLU/unbundled equipment at the local exchange. They are working on a solution but it won't be quick. So basically Sky have locked me into their services, unless I want to lose my number. I will also have risk a gap between their service stopping and the new one starting.
I suspect that why Vodafone can't do it either but some of the others can.
I have asked Sky for an explanation and solution.

Forgot about them, I'm already a member. Uno were quite specific, Vodafone really didn't know. But there is a pattern forming that for some suppliers its too much hard work as they just contact Openreach for transfers. With LLU services like some Sky customers it involves a bit more effort !

In anticipation of the £2.50 a month increase on my Sky broadband I have started to shop around. So far Vodafone, Plusnet and NOW look the best all around deals. Unless Sky play ball and cancel the price increase as I will tell them I will leave, I will leave. The contract allows for that without penalty
What's interesting is that everyone seems to say I can port my landline number, or at least imply that. But Vodafone say no. On chasing them up they don't seem to know the exact reason but say they get it a lot and will give me a new number and day after live I call them up and they will apply my old number which is safe for 7-14 days. Looking at their forums it seems to work
Be a shame to leave Sky but my current £25 is no longer that competitive although their customer service has been excellent on the rare times I've needed it.

Thoughts ? Anyone going through the same thing ?
Vodafone told me that i couldn't port my mobile number so i called and spoke to offcom who said under condition B3 of the telecom act they cant refuse so armed with that info i called them back, made a complaint and got a call from someone in the directors office who apologised and gave me a discount and a one of credit in order to try to match the deal I was going to switch too on lebara who use the vodafone network too

Apparently unbundled exchanges cause a problem as the number is no longer listed on Openreach’s database. Or so Openreach told me. But yes, numbers have to be ported by regulation. So the issue is with Sky’s end. Offcom have since told me that companies like Sky have until May 2022 to sort this out. I pointed out that date has come and gone. But they had no answer to that

9 months later we’re still waiting. I am now on FTTC with Sky so not using the unbundled element, again so I am told, but my guess is my number is still on Sky's list not openreach but I have no way of checking. Also my download has increased from 49Mbs to 55Mbs so although still 2/3s of my supposed service it is now above Skys minimum service level of 53Mbs. But thats Ok for now and Sky's service is still the best so I'll have to stick with it until FTTP is on offer or price increase or even when my contract ends in September

Last edited:
Apparently unbundled exchanges cause a problem as the number is no longer listed on Openreach’s database. Or so Openreach told me. But yes, numbers have to be ported by regulation. So the issue is with Sky’s end. Offcom have since told me that companies like Sky have until May 2022 to sort this out. I pointed out that date has come and gone. But they had no answer to that

9 months later we’re still waiting. I am now on FTTC with Sky so not using the unbundled element, again so I am told, but my guess is my number is still on Sky's list not openreach but I have no way of checking. Also my download has increased from 49Mbs to 55Mbs so although still 2/3s of my supposed service it is now above Skys minimum service level of 53Mbs. But thats Ok for now and Sky's service is still the best so I'll have to stick with it until FTTP is on offer or price increase or even when my contract ends in September
I am now on my my to Cuckoo (land?) who are a couple of pounds cheaper than Sky but more importantly "independent". Being Sky I lose my phone number but for me its never used anymore so no loss and I found out that Sky and Virgin Media both have, in effect, restrictive practices regarding passing on your landline number. Offcom have told them both to sort it out so people can port their existing numbers but they just don't co operate with new suppliers taking over the service.
I get the real feeling that UK broadband is a stitch up between the big boys. Cuckoo are a smaller company with a pretty good reputation but at least I now have a sense of freedom should I switch in the future.
Sky service has been top class but their upwards creeping prices, like the rest, has become a real issue. At least they give you 30 days with no exit fees if you don't like the price to leave. Cuckoo have a no price increase promise by the way

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom