Sky Price Increase, Cancelling and number porting

topgazza

Distinguished Member
In anticipation of the £2.50 a month increase on my Sky broadband I have started to shop around. So far Vodafone, Plusnet and NOW look the best all around deals. Unless Sky play ball and cancel the price increase as I will tell them I will leave, I will leave. The contract allows for that without penalty
What's interesting is that everyone seems to say I can port my landline number, or at least imply that. But Vodafone say no. On chasing them up they don't seem to know the exact reason but say they get it a lot and will give me a new number and day after live I call them up and they will apply my old number which is safe for 7-14 days. Looking at their forums it seems to work
Be a shame to leave Sky but my current £25 is no longer that competitive although their customer service has been excellent on the rare times I've needed it.

Thoughts ? Anyone going through the same thing ?

Last edited:

depot

If you move to Now broadband which is £20 pm, I’d have thought there would be no problem keeping your phone number.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Thats what I thought as well. Better package as well

Guy at Zen was puzzled by Vodafone's comment as they put a request to port in and as long as the line is still active Sky release the number. Sounds like VF can't be bothered to put the effort in

Last edited:

depot

I had Now years ago, but can’t speak for the customer service, I just plugged it in, followed the instructions and it worked fine till I left lol. From memory I think it was when I moved to virgin media, they can take hours to contact but once you manage that there were good.

Plus there’s a chance they just leave the router as it is and change you over to now billing.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Hoping to get the same. Sky has been almost faultless in 6 years. They can be slow to get hold of as well but once contacted have been pretty good. Sky own NOW of course but they operate separately, I think. But NOW will use the same Sky unbundled equipment at my exchange. Or at least I assume they will

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Spoke to UNO today and they were very helpful. They explained that their processes/systems can't access anything on Sky's LLU/unbundled equipment at the local exchange. They are working on a solution but it won't be quick. So basically Sky have locked me into their services, unless I want to lose my number. I will also have risk a gap between their service stopping and the new one starting.
I suspect that why Vodafone can't do it either but some of the others can.
I have asked Sky for an explanation and solution.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Forgot about them, I'm already a member. Uno were quite specific, Vodafone really didn't know. But there is a pattern forming that for some suppliers its too much hard work as they just contact Openreach for transfers. With LLU services like some Sky customers it involves a bit more effort !

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom