Sky+ PQ when using a projector

Rock_fan35

Standard Member
I recently connected my Sky digibox to my projector via my Liteon 5045 PVR.

Picture quality of the projected image is ropey to say the least. Much of this might be down to the signal passing through the Liteon? The picture seams to smear and tear (for want of better words) when there is movement. Football pitches turn into green featureless mush during camera pans, even slow ones.

Anyway, I'm thinking of ditching the Liteon n favour of Sky+ I'h hoping the better video and sound connections will improve my viewing experience and the beter integrated PVR functionality should be better than using the Liteon too.

Has anyone made a similar upgrade recently? Am I likely to get a much better picture using the Sky+ box using the Svideo connection?

Cheers,

steve

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Am I likely to get a much better picture using the Sky+ box using the Svideo connection?

You don't say how you had it connected but if it was by composite video then yes...Sky+ to the PJ by S-Video should be better.

Rock_fan35

Standard Member
The digibox is connected to the Liteon by scart, then I think it's svideo to my Receiver, and then svideo to the PJ.

My feeling is though the liteon is muddying the picture and not just passing it through cleanly to the receiver.

steve

JayCee

Distinguished Member
The digibox is connected to the Liteon by scart, then I think it's svideo to my Receiver, and then svideo to the PJ.

Check the specs of your Liteon to see if it inputs RGB...if it doesn't you are using composite video from your Sky box which isn't that great.
You may be correct about the Liteon "muddying" the pic as they don't have a great reputation.

ched

I have just bought a Liteon 5025 DVD recorder and have Sky+ set to RGB out with a Projector connected to the COMPONENT video out on the lieton. I am guessing that the liteon actually accepts RGB in but uses composite to output the passthru signal and hense the naff picture.

The sky picture is not good, washed out colour and sort of fuzzy. So I am making a scart to scart cable to go between the Sky+ box and the liteon with an additional RGB scart attached to the same scart cable. So it will be a sort of y shaped scart lead with 3 scart plugs on. This will enable me to connect the Liteon to the Sky+ with scart RGB and then an RGB connection to my projector and a Component connection to my projector.

Hopefully this will solve my poor passthru picture.

So I am guessing that liteon arent great at passing through any decent signals.

SamRadford

So it will be a sort of y shaped scart lead with 3 scart plugs on.

Splitting the signal without correct impedance matching or amplification is certain to result in a loss in signal amplitude which, at best, will reduce the "contrast".

ched

SamRadford thanks, I do realise that impedance matching may cause a problem but a few mins with a soldering iron should give me an idea if this will solve my problem. But as you say it might not work very well.

Thanks for the advice.

Also the Liteon wont be switchhed on or connected to the projector when the Sky box is , so in theory the impedance shouldnt be affected much.

Rock_fan35

Standard Member
Think I'll try connecting everything up again, and if all else fails, connect the sky box directly to the receiver and miss out the liteon. Just have to watch recording on the TV instead for the time being.

Looks like Sky+ is the way to go in the medium term - probably get it in in July when I'm off work, unless there are any deals on offer.

Thanks for the advice,

steve

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom