SKY+ Poor picture with Loftbox...

Alfie G

Standard Member
Hi all,

I know bits and pieces but am no expert hence the post! I have a single SKY+ box downstairs and its all linked up to an Loftbox with 8 TV outputs.

This was and is working fine for 3 TV's in my house.

I've just had an extension (building) and would like to add another 2 TV's to the main TV output (SKY+ and TV Aerial). The rooms have co-ax from face plates to the loft and are plugged into the loftbox.

Here's the rub and where my knowledge becomes extremely thin. I get a good picture for analogue terrestrial channels on the new TV's but the SKY picture is extremely snowy.

I also have TVlink fitted and they do not work (no LED light) in the new rooms. I've had a good read and it seems my conclusion is that my connectors are poor (they were fitted by a standard sparky, all others by an AV expert), or my cable crap or face plates incompatible?

Before I start tearing up the house I'd really appreciate if somebody with more knowledge than me could validate my conclusions and maybe offer the sensible order in which to change/check things.

Much appreciation in advance.

Kind regards

Alfie:lease:

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
I think you have come to the right conclusions - my first look would be at the faceplates.

Are you sure both new rooms are fed by independant feeds from the loftbox and not just one feed split into two outputs?

Neil

Alfie G

Standard Member
Hi Neil,

Yes I have a cable running from each new room into the loft where they go into the loftbox. My initial thought was that the cable was too long or the electrician used the wrong faceplates (non isolated? I don't know how to check this?) but bizarrely the tvlink does work in one new room which is the furthest away and was fitted by same electrician.

Any suggestions on faceplates and best practice?

Thanks

Nick

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
I would be more concerned as to why the Sky signal is so low, (Snowy). If your terrestrial TV signal is fine then this suggests some attenuation/frequency issue. Check all connectors carefully and make sure the cables are not kinked or go around any sharp corners. You could also change the RF channel the Sky box is set to, but this would require re-tuning of all your TV's.

Neil

Alfie G

Standard Member
Thanks Neil,

I'll check all connectors carefully one by one. DO you have any recommendations re. face plates? How can I check if the ones I've got are suitable or not (for TVlink).

Also, is it worth trying changing the RF channel? I'm happy to give it a whirl if you think its worth it.

Regards

Nick

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
I can't say anything about faceplates as I do not use them, (never used/seen a "Eye" either.)

Changing the RF channel will show if you have a cable attenuation/frequency problem, but you have to be careful not to interfere with your terrestrial frequencies.

Neil

Alfie G

Standard Member
Thanks guys I'll give it a whirl tonight and let you know.

Much appreciate your time and input.

Regards

Alfie

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom