1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Plus.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by davidcotton, Nov 5, 2004.

1. davidcotton

davidcotton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi

Had Sky plus installed this morning, upgrading from sky. Just my luck to get (yet again) an amstrad box! Still, the hd seems to be a tad noisy, ie I can hear it slightly over the tv at normal volumes. Is it always noisy (I realise theres a hdd in there with the fan)or does it settle down a bit after the box has run in a bit? Main reason I'm asking is because its in a small bedroom (mine :( ) and the noise from the box is doing my head in already! If I'd of known about it I would have just got a replacement normal one and upgraded the video to a dvd recorder!

Cheers...

2. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It is probably the fan in the Sky+ box thats making all the noise. There are lots of threads about it. AFAIK the upshot is you'd better get used to it!

3. Geoggy

Geoggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    ive got an amstrad box and it isnt as noisy as yours sounds.

ask on digital spy - there more info on this box over there.

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,767
    I've never heard my Amstrad box, unless I'm right up against the TV. My usual sitting position is about 12 feet away though.

5. davidcotton

davidcotton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Quick update since yesterday.

Something seems to be a bit odd. Theres a high pitched "whine" (is the best word I spose :() on alternate channels. So for example the "whine" is there on BBC1 but not on 2, the whine is there on sky one but not on sky mix. Does this sound normal or should I be contacting Sky in the very near future?

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Never hesitate to make use of the warranty, SKY will not hesitate to charge you for out of warranty work:)
    I seem to recall reading something along the same lines but not sure where, either way there is a problem, maybe electrical, worth checking all the cable runs just in case it's interference somewhere along the path.

7. PaulieW

PaulieW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Experienced the same problem after sky+ Amstrad box was installed last week. There was an alternating high pitched whining coming from the box that was almost unbearable to listen to. Funnily enough the noise became louder when I switched the box off. That was the cue for a phone call to sky customer services who put me through the usual procedures which incidentally did not solve the problem. Was told to phone back if noise persisted as they would get the installation engineer to call back. Went for a shower and hey presto! No noise at all from the box and thankfully there has been no noise since day of installation 4 days ago. Don't know what stopped the noise but hope your box settles in the same way. Going by the posts on the forum its pure luck if you get a box that works effectively.