Sky Plus with SDI or USB

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by mark.carline, Nov 2, 2004.

1. mark.carline

mark.carline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    I just wondered if anyone has any ideas whats going to be the best way to get films / recorded stuff off a skyplus box.

I am aware that an SDI modded is possible:

http://www.irj-tech.com/

Has anyone got this working yet and can they comment in the total cost of getting this working?

I also wondered about the rumours about a USB capable sky plus box and if this could be used?

Thanks

Mark.Carline@btinternet.com

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Sky+ SDI into PC via Sweetspot SDI capture card - best possible PQ from Sky but not cheap. Modded box plus capture card plus cable etc will be thick end of £800. The analogue Sweetspot route is much cheaper - about £200 not including Sky+ box - and gives very good PQ. Not as good as SDI (but SDI is not x4 better).

Many capture packages will work to get Sky stuff, including recordings from the hard drive, onto your PC hard drive.

I don't think the USB capability on future Sky boxes will work like this, but could be wrong.

Check out the PluggedinTV website for package deals on various bundles.

you don't say what your display is. I assume a high def plasma etc. If not then probably not worth the SDI route.

3. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sky+160 box has a USB port (or 2 according to the web, but I haven't bothered looking for the other one), that according to the web is for "future use". Whether this is for outputting to other devices (PDA/Archos/Laptop/Printer/DVD burner etc or even for extra storage external HD - seen a 1.6 Terrabyte HD the other day...) or for an input device (joystick for games, scanner etc) has not been said. Personally would quite like the PDA/Archos option. Just download some movies onto your PDA in the night, then watch on the train to work tomorrow. Nice. Already ripped T3 to my PDA and it's suprisingly watchable. And with SD cards coming down (1GB for under £60) could be interesting. Low quality movie rip is about 128mb (decent is 256mb), so could easily get 10+ hours on a 1GB card. Tops....

Cheers

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Both Thomson and NDS have portable video units already demonstrated, not a long shot to assume that for a fee SKY+ recordings will be downloadable to these devices at some point.