sky plus telephone cable, help needed

amills2005smart

Established Member
Reaction score
hi everyone ive just noticed the cable from phone socket to sky box is damaged at the phone socket end. tried repairing this and it fell to pieces! :oops:

does anyone know if this is a special cable or if just a normal phone cable will do, i asked the "experts" in maplins and they didnt have a clue

id also appreciate some ideas of where i can get this cable from, i need one about 10m long

thanks in advance anthony

If you don't have multiroom, forget it...........

His point, with which I totally agree, was that, if you don't have multiroom you don't need the cable.
However, if you do have multiroom, or if you want to use it to pay more money to the Murdoch empire, then it's a standard cable that you can get from any local electrical store - you'll recognise it just by looking at it among the others on the rack.
If you don't have a local shop then rely on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10m-Telephone...onEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item3a5c14131c

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
His point, with which I totally agree, was that, if you don't have multiroom you don't need the cable.
However, if you do have multiroom, or if you want to use it to pay more money to the Murdoch empire, then it's a standard cable that you can get from any local electrical store - you'll recognise it just by looking at it among the others on the rack.
If you don't have a local shop then rely on Ebay:
10m Telephone Cable, Phone Line Cord TV-Digibox dial-up on eBay (end time 27-Jun-10 18:04:35 BST)

hi logicel, i thought you needed this cable for updates and for box office to work?? thanks for the link

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
hi logicel, i thought you needed this cable for updates and for box office to work?? thanks for the link

For updates - no.

For box office - yes, it is cheaper and simpler to order box office stuff via the phone connection than it is to pick up the phone and call Sky. Most people, however, don't use Box Office. If you do, then by all means replace the cable with a standard RJ20 cable available from electrical stores, DIY stores and Pound Shops the length and breadth of Britain...

thanks broadz, dont i also need this to work if i want my remote record sky plus feature to work on my iphone?

sorry if these questions seem a bit obvious to some people

Last edited:
Last edited:
thanks broadz, dont i also need this to work if i want my remote record sky plus feature to work on my iphone?

Don't think so. You don't phone home with remote record - you phone Sky, sky send signal to box via satellite (I think!!!!!).

To be set up, yes. But after that, no.

i thought you needed this cable for updates and for box office to work?
I can't imagine what sort of "updates" would come down the phone - there might be some from the satellite.
Box Office is one of the things I meant by "if you want to use it to pay more money to the Murdoch empire".:D
If you want to use that, or to pay them for the right to play silly games, or make bets, then you need the line.
You can still do BO by giving them a voice call, but admittedly they'd take yet another ÂŁ1 for doing it that way.
The phone-home thing is needed only for checking multirooms, and afaik it's not needed for remote record either.
It's OK about the questions - Sky don't mind people getting the wrong idea, and we're here to put them right.

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure that a phone line is required to view PPV events. I thought the info that you had viewed a PPV event was stored on the card and transmitted to Sky the next time the box connected to Sky via the phone line - but I may be wrong.

The phone-home thing is needed only for checking multirooms, and afaik it's not needed for remote record either.
It's OK about the questions - Sky don't mind people getting the wrong idea, and we're here to put them right.

A phone connection is required during the initial setup of remote recording via the internet (and I believe by mobile) on a Sky box but not after that.

I'm not 100% sure that a phone line is required to view PPV events.
I'd have thought 100% sure that it's not, for viewing. It isn't for ordering either, as you can pay extra for ordering by a voice call. As to the way Sky get to know whether you've watched the programme, "I'm not 100% sure"!
I can't see any other way, and I suppose that they keep trying to get through on it to find out. If you've left it unconnected then they'd chase - and ultimately charge - you the way they would for multiroom.

Last edited:
I'd have thought 100% sure that it's not, for viewing. It isn't for ordering either, as you can pay extra for ordering by a voice call. As to the way Sky get to know whether you've watched the programme, "I'm not 100% sure"!
I can't see any other way, and I suppose that they keep trying to get through on it to find out. If you've left it unconnected then they'd chase - and ultimately charge -you the way they would for multiroom.

The viewing of PPV and Box Office events booked through the box is confirmed to Sky via the "phone homes" through the telephone line. Until Sky receive that confirmation you are not charged for the events. Without these "phone homes" clearing down the list of viewed events you will only be able to book events up to the credit limit on your viewing card (an absolute maximum of ÂŁ50 but can be lower depending on your previous account status record).

Right i've tried remote record Via iPhone and it still works so if I'm only going to lose the box office function (via remote) then I might leave it as it is, as the cable runs under floor boards, I think they'll have to settle for the ÂŁ62 a month they already get

thanks for all your help and replies :)

the "phone homes" through the telephone line.
Just out of interest :D in which direction do those calls work? When you have the line connected do the receivers and Sky communicate with each other regularly whether or not you have chargeable events, and if so which calls which?

Just out of interest :D in which direction do those calls work? When you have the line connected do the receivers and Sky communicate with each other regularly whether or not you have chargeable events, and if so which calls which?

The box is instructed by a signal over the air to phone home (regardless of any chargeable events on the card) approx monthly at a random time/day to a freephone number, which incidentally is different to the freephone number phoned by a forced callback to eliminate the use of multiroom boxes being used at a different address being brought back for a regular forced callback.
The satellite signal is sent regardless of whether the phone line is connected but if no callback is received it is noted on your account regardless of whether that is multiroom or not.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom