1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky plus remote and multiroom problems

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by martd77, Dec 17, 2004.

1. martd77

martd77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Since upgrading to sky plus some 3months ago we have had a variety of problems which i hope someone can give some info on.
    Previously we had a sky digibox which was cabled up to share the picture in another room using the "magic eye" had no problems with this at all.
    After having sky plus installed and checked over by their technician we found the sky plus remote only works in the second room if it is within an inch of the magic eye receiver and the picture quality whilst not been as sharp as before was watchable.Eventually the picture was snowy so i unplugged the coax lead from the back of the sky box,remade it up but still no joy if not worse,the day after we now have no picture from the sky plus box in the second room.
    Sky have refused to resolve this because they did not originally install the cabling into the second room even though their engineer made the connections to the sky plus box when he came
    Can someone point me in the right direction please?
    Why doesnt the remote work as it should, and how can i restore the picture in the second room ???
    Thanks in advance :lease:

2. sparkz

sparkz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just watched an engineer set one of these up, it may be worth checking that the coaxial cable has power. Check these instructions

Hope that helps...

Mark

3. martd77

martd77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link and info i had already mailed simply digital and they suggested it was a faulty sky box to which sky have denied this an said it is the connection between the box and the upstairs tv.
    They went through changing the rf numbers from the secret installers menu to see if the pic improved but no joy at all.
    Any more comments help would be appreciated
    Thanks again

4. stevestarr13

stevestarr13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know this sounds stupid but after you changed the RF setting from the default did you retune all the other TVs? I find RF outlet 69 to be the best for me
    Steve

5. martd77

martd77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks m8 but yeah i have to say i did that right down from 68 to 60 and made to difference after retuning tv each time.
    Im moving towards it being a bad connection on the coax at the back of the sky + box but having rewired it that sorta rules it out unless my wirings wrong?
    If anyone can post or mail me how to wire coax with a new connector id be obliged in case ive done something wrong?
    thanks
    Any ideas bout the remote?doesnt work unless your an inch from the magic eye?

6. stevestarr13

stevestarr13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    did you try 69, pace has this channel not sure about amstrad, are the batteries in the remote new? may need replacing. Had that kind of problem with one of my TVs, have 3 on the eyes and it was the little global box not making a good connection with the wall plate, try turning the wall soket side plug around in the second room while someone else keeps pressing the remote, this worked for me

7. martd77

martd77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Soz i did try 69 that was the default and it is an amstrad box.
    Yes we replaced the batteries when we had the system installed just in case they were duds.
    dont understand about global box,wall plate??

8. mc1

mc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Global Box = Magic eye.

Can you connect your magic eye directly into the back of the sky box and does it work properly (remembering to cover the IR receiver on the sky box)

If it works then the problem is with your Coax running to the multiroom.

Either the connectors have been installed wrong and create a short or the cable has been damged.

Just remove and reconnect the coax connectors making sure none of the strands of wire touch the centre core.

9. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two suggestions -

1. remove the magic eye and connect cable directly into back of TV. Does this give a better picture?

2. Take the Sky box into the room that is causing the problems, connect it directly to the back of the Tv with a shorter cable. Does this give a better picture. (You will at least be able to view the menu?).

If the answer to 1. is yes then it is a possible magic eye problem? If the answer is No then it could be the cable, hence no.2?