1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky plus picture quality

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by deepblue2uk, Feb 29, 2004.

1. deepblue2uk

deepblue2uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As i am new to the plasma scene i have only seen a few examples of PQ on plasmas. Sky seems to be a good picture however does sky plus give a better picture. If so i will upgrade at the same time as purchasing a Pioneer PDP434.

Thanks for any advice

2. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sky +has the same pic quality as the non sky+ as far as I can see

some of the sky channels are really awful... but most of the premium channels are good

I have both types of Sky boxes and can see no difference in quality
    thats not to say that the + box is a great bit of kit. and would never get the old type after see-ing Sky+ in action

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    should point out that the v2 sky+ boxes do have problem with soft focus and the picture can look a little blurred.

v1 boxes and sky digital are fine and on the right channel can look very good, also on the wrong channel can look poor

4. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well I've had my SKY+ V2 box for a couple of months now have certainly don't experience 'soft focus' must have been a bad batch or I'm just lucky!

5. troymcclure

troymcclure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say you're either lucky or not noticed it yet. I hadn't until I read about it on the Digital Spy Forum.

It's most noticeable on text like football league tables. Take a look at QVC, channel 630. O.K. so you won't watch this channel but you can see straight away if you have the focus problem. On mine, some text is crystal clear and some is blurred.

Apparently it's a Pace problem and they've admitted it. Sky have said it will be addressed in a future download but how can it be if it's hardware?

troy

6. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you may have not noticed it , but its there:( :( there is a lack of picture detail too, very easy to spot on football games there is no face detail on players from a distanst, but on sky digital and sky+ v1 boxes there its fine.

pace have confirmed there is a problem, but its up to sky to implement any software upgrade

7. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hmmm interesting........as I had sky+ installed before I had bought my plasma this worried me, as I have not seen any problems with "soft" focus and blurred images from Sky+ V2 box, so I got out my old original box (the installer left me cable and plugs so I could connect it as a second box....bloody friendly bloke!) rigged it up in place of the newer V2 box, and hey!!!

Its was worse than the new box! :clap:

My V2 box is definatley a better picture, slightyly sharper and just looking more detailed, and yes I checked all the settings and had a good play with it.

I know I was very suprised by the PQ of sky when I first installed my Plasma after hearing all the tales of woe about sky PQ, but I was more than happy and even more so now!

Maybe there wasnt a bad batch, but just a good batch? :D

Best regards David

8. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Interesting thread in the digital spy forum, and although they say sky admit to a fault, many people there find the picture quality the same as the original box a some better!

Certainly looking at those screenshots my V2 box in no way exhibits any faults of that kind, I have been in the industry for over thirty years and am confident that I can see problems of that nature.

As I said before, I had a Mitsubishi 37" CRT before my present 42" Plasma and was bowled over by the PQ from Sky+ on that CRT, and apprehensive of changing to the Plasma after reading these forums, but am very happy viewing Sky+ "premium" channels, as to QVC.lets face it....it aint never going to receive a golden globe for technical merit!!!!

Best regards David

10. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sounds like a similar problem the Pace Twin HDD recorder had/has. Some people say there was a soft picture problem on areas of the screen, others could see no problem. Pace did a OTA firmware update to fix the problem, in fact until I got rid of mine they had done four OTA updates. God knows how many they've done by now. I wonder if they've got it to work yet?