Sky plus output

Cluelessjock

Standard Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me out?

I have just ordered Sky plus and intend buying the new Onkyo 875 receiver. However the 875 does not have scart and I understand the Sky plus does not have component, seems complicated!

Other than getting a Sky HD box with HDMI can anyone suggest a solution?

I don't see the point in spending hard earned only to have to compromise connectivity.

Thanks

Can someone help me out?

I have just ordered Sky plus and intend buying the new Onkyo 875 receiver. However the 875 does not have scart and I understand the Sky plus does not have component, seems complicated!

Other than getting a Sky HD box with HDMI can anyone suggest a solution?

I don't see the point in spending hard earned only to have to compromise connectivity.

Thanks

Does the Onkyo receiver have S-VHS, because that is available on a Sky+ box. That and two phono and/or a digital connection to the amp is enough.

Does the Onkyo receiver have S-VHS, because that is available on a Sky+ box. That and two phono and/or a digital connection to the amp is enough.

Thanks uk_jih, it does however I don't want to use inferior connectivity, seems pointless buying kit to upscale and then use inferior connectivity.

Do you know:

a) what connections are on the standard sky box
b) if I let them install Sky plus and acquire an Hd box is it just a case of changing them?

Thanks

Thanks uk_jih, it does however I don't want to use inferior connectivity, seems pointless buying kit to upscale and then use inferior connectivity.

Do you know:

a) what connections are on the standard sky box
b) if I let them install Sky plus and acquire an Hd box is it just a case of changing them?

Thanks

Inferior connectivity:confused: S-VHS is far better than the standard scart connection.

1 Scart with S-VHS, 1 Scart without S-VHS, S-VHS, 2 x Phono and 1 Optical Toslink are the majority of the connectors on the back of a Sky+ box.

Yes, apart from the HDMI cable from box to TV.

Inferior connectivity:confused: S-VHS is far better than the standard scart connection.

1 Scart with S-VHS, 1 Scart without S-VHS, S-VHS, 2 x Phono and 1 Optical Toslink are the majority of the connectors on the back of a Sky+ box.

............and component, which comes after HDMI!

Absolute rubbish

You have on a standard box
TV scart with RGB and composite video
VCR scart with composite video
2 off RCA phono audio outputs.
Some earlier boxes (Grundig) also had a s-video socket

The Sky+ has the same connections plus
s-video socket
Toslink digital audio output.

Quality of video in descending order is
HDMI
Component (RGB or yuv) yuv NOT available on Sky boxes
s-video
composite video
RF

S-video is NOT output from a scart socket on any Sky dodgibox.

You could get a RGB SCART to Component video converter in order for your amp to upscale the signal -- however, you don't necessarily know whether an image upscaled by your receiver will look better than an image upscaled internally by your LCD or Plasma. (Plenty of threads already started on this issue.)
Set the Sky+ to output RGB in the picture settings and connect it with a fully wired/screened SCART cable to an RGB capable SCART socket on your display and see what you think of the picture.

You could get a RGB SCART to Component video converter in order for your amp to upscale the signal -- however, you don't necessarily know whether an image upscaled by your receiver will look better than an image upscaled internally by your LCD or Plasma. (Plenty of threads already started on this issue.)
Set the Sky+ to output RGB in the picture settings and connect it with a fully wired/screened SCART cable to an RGB capable SCART socket on your display and see what you think of the picture.

Or you could just try a cheaper Scart to phono lead!

Cheers, Franc

Absolute rubbish

You have on a standard box
TV scart with RGB and composite video
VCR scart with composite video
2 off RCA phono audio outputs.
Some earlier boxes (Grundig) also had a s-video socket

The Sky+ has the same connections plus
s-video socket
Toslink digital audio output.

Quality of video in descending order is
HDMI
Component (RGB or yuv) yuv NOT available on Sky boxes
s-video
composite video
RF

S-video is NOT output from a scart socket on any Sky dodgibox.

Sorry, when I said S-VHS, I meant RGB, the confusion from my point of view was that the cable is a S-Video cable ( not sure if this carries RGB).

A mistake I admit but otherwise accurrate.

Dear oh dear, it just seems to get more complicated!

TV is the 8th generation Pioneer and receiver is likely to be the new Onkyo 875 with the Reon processor.

I don't know much about AV however I would assume that the more a signal is changed then the more opportunity for it to be degraded. My logic was to keep the output from the Sky box the same as the input to the reciever.

Seems simple however the Sky box (I have learned) does not have component and the reciever does not have scart this then leads to the next in line; S-video, as I said no point of all this expensive kit to connect with an "inferior" connection.

Or you could just try a cheaper Scart to phono lead!

Cheers, Franc

I have read the Onkyo 875 manual and there is no mention of any capability of receiving RGB over triple RCA with synch on a separate RCA connection (like the Hitachi PJ-TX300 projector can). Nor does the Sky+ box output YPbPr from its SCART socket. So I'm unsure what other method of RGB conversion you mean?

Cluelessjock; RE: signal degradation.
Although the RGB signal would be converted to component, it would still provide a better picture than S-Video.

Cluelessjock; RE: signal degradation.
Although the RGB signal would be converted to component, it would still provide a better picture than S-Video.[/QUOTE]

That's my point about using S-Video as a permanent connection. Seems like I need to acquire an HD box even if I don't intent subscribing.

Thanks

Solution?

It seems Sky will only install boxes they supply and will not move on price of the HD box and I guess an independant installer will not install non Sky product for £30. So if I let Sky install the Sky plus box and buy an HD box elsewhere (can do this cheaper than buying HD box alone from Sky) is it simply a case of unplugging the Sky plus box and plugging in the Sky HD box, or do I need a new card?

and if that works what do I need to use the Sky plus box for multiroom?

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom