Sky Plus - Out of warranty repair?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by franko180, Jan 30, 2009.

1. franko180

franko180
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sky Plus has an issue in that one of the inputs shows very poor signal strength. Basically I go to "services" then "system setup" then "signal test".

Both inputs show approximately 60% signal quality. Input 2 shows 50% signal strength, but input 1 shows very low signal strength, maybe 5-10%.

I've tried swapping the connections on the back so that input 1 is swapped to input 2, but it doesn't change, so its not the cable or the LNB, it appears to be the circuitry or connection for Input 1.

The effect of this is that generally the box does work, but randomly some recordings are very choppy and broken and unplayable.

Anyone resolved this issue on a Sky Plus box before?

My unit is an Amstrad DRX180

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  2. Luluuk

Luluuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I rang up disconnections today and said my regular box on the blink, couldn't afford a new one - so needed to cancel. - they offered a free call out and replacement if necessary. But I said we wanted sky+ - so we are getting one for £49 and free installation.
    Try it with your repair - they really don't want to lose business!

3. psj

psj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a sky plus box. Same symptoms - around 10% signal on channel 1 and 50-60% on channel 2. Odd thing is swapping the cables it had the same strengths on teh same channels which eliminated teh dish.

An engineer suggested doing a "Full system reset" and then a re-format of disc.

The first left teh signal teh same but after the re-format teh signal strength is now above 60% on both channels.

Can't explain it, but it seems to have worked.

Of course it wipes all recordings.

Phil