Sky Plus Magic Eye through RETURN feed

debenaire

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I hope someone can please help!

I live in an apartment which has a panel in the living room which has SAT, FM, TV, RETURN.

I wanted to set up a magic eye in my bedroom so have connected a coax from my Sky Plus box RF2 out to the return. I have then connected a cable from the panel in my bedroom to the magic eye then to my tv.

I know the rf2 feed works fine as i have tested it with a small coax directly to the tv but for some reason when connecting to the reurn feed and into bedroom tv there is no light and no picture.

I have tried chaning the channels on the sky 401 page but to no avail.

I was thinking it could be a faulty magic eye and heard you can test it by plugging it into the rf2 directly but it seems the magic eye coonector is different to the rf2.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
but it seems the magic eye coonector is different to the rf2.

No, the Magic Eye connector is identical to RF2 output from the Sky box. Well, one is male, one is female. Because that's how you connect them together.

If your connectors are different, you've bought a duff Magic Eye. Or you've fitted a male-to-male (or female-to-female) connector on it to allow you to connect it to the cable you have running from the wallplate. Disconnect any extra connections you've put on it before connecting it to the RF2 output.

Last edited:
Do you get a picture without the magic eye in circuit. Are you sure the magic eye is the right way round, it has a female socket in and a male out. To connect it to the tv needs a female to male patch lead. If the connection goes via wallplates one or more may be the isolated type that won't pass DC power.

Do you get a picture without the magic eye in circuit. Are you sure the magic eye is the right way round, it has a female socket in and a male out. To connect it to the tv needs a female to male patch lead. If the connection goes via wallplates one or more may be the isolated type that won't pass DC power.

I need the magic eye to make the circuit. The wall socket is female and i have a cable with a thin metal male component (not sure what it's called) which has an adapter on it to make it the thicker coax cable.

One end of the magic eye is a sat style female and the other is a male coax going into tv.

My RF out on my sky plus is a male coax.

Hope this makes sense!

One end of the magic eye is a sat style female and the other is a male coax going into tv.

My RF out on my sky plus is a male coax.

Sounds like a dodgy Magic Eye. One end should be RF female (the end which connets to the RF male out from the RF2 socket on the Sky box) - not sat style female, whatever sat style female means????

Sounds like a dodgy Magic Eye. One end should be RF female (the end which connets to the RF male out from the RF2 socket on the Sky box) - not sat style female, whatever sat style female means????

One end is definitely male which is what concerned me. This end is the end which plugs into the tv right? The other end resembles the connection on the plate on my wall which says SAT.

Shouldn't the connection be male not female anyway as it is meant to ultimately connect directly into a tv?

One end is definitely male which is what concerned me. This end is the end which plugs into the tv right? The other end resembles the connection on the plate on my wall which says SAT.

Shouldn't the connection be male not female anyway as it is meant to ultimately connect directly into a tv?

Through some research I have found that my magic eye has an f type female connection. Should this be a coaxial connection instead?

Forget the wallplate for the time being as this is almost certainly what is causing your problems. And forget whether the connections on the wallplate say SAT, TV, RETURN or anything else, seeing as they are non-standard connections anyway.

Prove the the Magic Eye works by connecting an RF cable (female socket at Sky end, male plug at Magic Eye end) from Sky RF2 out to Magic Eye, then from Magic Eye to TV. Make sure that Magic Eye red light lights up - which ensures that your Sky box has its RF power switched on to enable it to power your Magic Eye, and means that your Magic Eye will be able to send its signal back to the Sky box.

Then fit a longer RF cable between the Sky box and the Magic Eye, so that you can move the TV to a different room. Then try using the Sky remote to control the Sky box via the Magic Eye. If that works, you know that there is nothing wrong with the Sky box or the Magic Eye, and points the finger firmly at either the wallplate itself (either the one in the living room or the one in the bedroom), or the cabling running from behind the wallplate in the living room to the wallplate in the bedroom.

Last edited:
Thank you Broadz so looks like I'm going to have to buy an adapter for the f type female end of the magic eye i have.
The sjy RF is definitely working i know that already as I have attached an rf cable directly to the tv from the sky box and i get both good picture and sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "magic" eye is only the device that does the remote control.
It's the cable and its plugs that matter, so what type is the socket in the other room?

Thanks - there's one socket in the bedroom and it's labelled TV/FM? and what type is it?

Leaving the magic eye remote control out of it for the moment, what happens with the simplest connection - Sky RF2Out to RET in main room, TV/FM to TV in bedroom, both with M-M aerial cable?

Leaving the magic eye remote control out of it for the moment, what happens with the simplest connection - Sky RF2Out to RET in main room, TV/FM to TV in bedroom, both with M-M aerial cable?

Here's my problem, I only bought the cables required for the job so the conncetion from the TV/FM is an f type cable with a coax adapter to connect into the wall with the other end of the cable having an f type male to connect into my magic eye.

The rf out 2 definitely works though as i have tested with a single cable.

Thanks.

You're still referring to the "magic eye" and I don't know how an f connector is involved with that.
Don't you have an ordinary aerial type cable that you can use direct from the bedroom wallplate to the TV?

You're still referring to the "magic eye" and I don't know how an f connector is involved with that.
Don't you have an ordinary aerial type cable that you can use direct from the bedroom wallplate to the TV?

some magic eye are f type input not coax plug , maybe this is what she means?

Yes, could be - I don't know enough about them.
My idea is to make it as simple as possible, a step at a time, by taking the "eye" out of the equation.

Yes, could be - I don't know enough about them.
My idea is to make it as simple as possible, a step at a time, by taking the "eye" out of the equation.

Thanks guys. I will purchase a male to male aerial lead for the bedroom connection then hopefully we can see if it's the magic eye or not.

That's OK and if you don't have that standard cable lying around already do get one and try it. It should be the same as the one you use from the Sky receiver's RF2 Out to the Return socket. Just have it with those two cables plugged in to begin with. Leave the "magic eye" out of that equation at first.

Last edited:
Ensure the RF outlet power supply is switched to ON in the box settings!

That really has no bearing until we have found that the picture is getting through.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom