Sky Plus installation help

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by GarethRamsay, Nov 7, 2003.

1. GarethRamsay

GarethRamsay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm getting Sky Plus installed on Sunday ( finally ditching ntl ) but is there anything I should watch out for in the installation? Is there anything I should be looking for that they might not give me?

Not sure what sort of an answer I'm really looking for, but I know (with bitter experience) that the in-experienced frequently get ripped ;)

Thanks,

Gareth

2. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had mine done today. It's a shame Sky don't have their own installers like NTL. My guy was dodgey as hell - I had to watch him all the time.

He did explain how to do a reset on the box for software upgrades. He says he does a lot of call outs for this (Sky charge £60?) - basically hold one of the buttons, pull the plug out, wack it back in and wait for the lights to come back on in sequence... Dunno how useful that is, but might be worth asking the fella' about it.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Where to start:)

First off don't be pressured into accepting anything you are not happy with, the installer will probably want to take the quickest and easiest approach but that might not suit you in respect to dish location and cable runs etc.
    When it is installed check the channels to make sure they are all working, may or may not be possible due to the time is can take to authorise a smartcard for the channels and SKY+ functions.
    If in any doubts you shouldn't sign off on an install until you are totally satisfied, you do however have the option after the fact to cancel and get a full refund.

Be useful if you look where any neighbours have their dishes and look to see where it could go on your home then work out the easist/neat way to get the cable into the house and to the STB.
    Worth removing furniture/ornaments etc before hand and bear in mind that some installers really don't drill holes with any real care so keep an eye on him.

You are paying for brand new hardware, it should come in a sealed retail type package, be very concerned if it comes in a plain cardboard box. Nothing less than brand new hardware is accpetable and don't forget the manual/remote etc, pretty sure there is scart cable as well.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

SKY do have inhouse installers but not enough so they contract work out to local companies, sometimes they are good and too many times they are, not good.

An out of warranty callout (After 12 months) is the users responsibility since the digibox/dish etc are their property not SKY's. SKY CS will talk a caller through the reset procedure over the phone, that is pretty much basic procedure and only after a reboot or OS reload will they send someone out.

5. GarethRamsay

GarethRamsay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Guys. Do you know if they fit a quad LNB as standard? I may want to get a second box at some point. Also, is there any difference in the ways they take the signal from the dish to the box? I asked once before whether there were two cables or one, and someone said that it could be either (using a two-in-one cable).

Gareth

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The Quad LNB is standard for a SKY+ install.
    There are two options with the cable run, I do not know why one is sometimes chosen over the other except that there may be a length issue.
    The options are a Shotgun cable which has the two cables inside a single outer sheath and the other which is simply two seperate cables.

7. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correction. Shotgun is two cables joined together with a very fine strip of plastic - "figure of eight" style.

It has to be, so you can split them apart to fit connectors at the end.

Shotgun cable has high signal losses so it's only suitable for lengths up to about 20 metres (according to satcure - they've also got cable specifications on their web site so you can compare). More than that length and standard CT100 has to be used (or a larger dish).

Fman

8. Tony Roma

Tony Roma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Also shotgun cable costs about 3 times as much as standard ct100 cable.