1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky plus - Heard of SCR technollogy???

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by hufc2003, Sep 24, 2005.

1. hufc2003

hufc2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard that a new technology from sky will be available in the new year ( HD box perhaps ) and it is called SCR technology.It enables sky plus to work on a single cable.Further developments will mean that multiple tuners could be available in a sky box and they will work from a single cable.Has anyone got any more info on this subject.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Did you hear it from a man in the pub or from someone from SKY or in the press?

SKY+ can already work on a single cable but you still need two independent LNB feeds at the dish and there are problems with merging two signals onto one cable (as mentioned by people who have seen the Stacker units).
    Obviously the technology is sound (xDSL and voice on one phone line for example) and if it could be done then it will help in some installation situations.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If the "S" in SCR stands for "stacker", it's already known about, and already here. A stacker combines the signals from the two LNB's and places them on the cable one above the other (frequency wise). The problem with stackers is they create the need for cables that can handle 4GHz, not 2GHz, and in places where there is only a single cable feed, the quality of the cable is quite bad anyway.

Most installers avoid stackers, because of the problems that can arise with them.

4. hufc2003

hufc2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In reply to your quotes:

Firstly the info came from inside Sky itself.

Secondly, the stacker technology has been about for ages but as to it's quality I would argue that they are awful(including the second generation stackers).Ask a local sky homes (ASHA) installer about them and they will nervously shuffle on to a different subject.Domestically I agree some are working fine but not many.In blocks of flats where their use is really needed i'm afraid their useless.The problem with them is that they require certain parameters of gain and loss at both ends of the units to work.Don't forget that the signal after the first unit is then shifted into the 4 GHz range and is then losing nearly twice the signal as it was previously.In most blocks of flats this is simply not achievable.The new technology will therefore be a godsend to those people living in flats using there existing cabling.