1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Plus Disc Change Major Problem

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by tk212, Feb 28, 2002.

1. tk212

tk212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Ive been running my Sky + with a maxtor 4G120J6 120Gb HDD for a while now and last week reverted back to the original 40Gb because I wanted to archive something that was on it onto video.

Anyhow...Today I got round to sticking back in the 120Gig Drive, did the housekeeping, but now my Sky plus box just says
    "No Signal is being recieved" every time I turn it back on, I've tried swapping over the LNB feeds to each tuner input, and just cannot see what the problem is.... :(

Also Ive tried putting a regular digibox on either LNB feed and it works fine! :(

I think I must have somehow blown something in the box...any opinions???

Cheers

Phil

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may be totally wrong here but here goes anyway!

In the good old days of the first Sky analogue receivers dire warnings were issued about the possible damge caused when connecting the LNB feed to the receiver whilst it was switched on. There was a good chance of shorting out the inner and outer bits of the connector.

I trust you had the machine powered off at the mains when you disconnected/reconnected the feeds?

If you did then I am at a loss to explain the problem!

DaveP

3. tk212

tk212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is interesting because I actually hapened to do this on my old Sky Analogue reciever, It blew some fuse inside which then had to be replaced.

Now I'm sure I didnt still have it switched on when i plugged it back in but wonder if I had it turned on when i unplugged them, as i suppose the same may apply?

Anyone know if this old shorting problem still exists on the sky+ box?

Anyway, Sky are coming to check it out, im awaiting a call from the servicing company - Ive put back in the 40gig, but do you think theyll notice I opened it?

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope not, for your sake! Good luck, let us know how you get on please,

Cheers

DaveP

5. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could be a real devil :devil: and leave the 120 gig drive in!

It depends how cool you can be, you can always claim the guy who installed it, or a subsequent engineer, opended the box for whatever reason. I doubt if the visiting engineer will have a record of any previous calls, just hope you used a proper security driver to undo those tricky Torx screws with!

Seriously, I always believe an engineer (who you are going to offer a cup of tea and a biscuit to) would have to be a real pig to complain about an unrelated fault to whatever you MAY have done. If you have shorted out the LNB that could have been done at any time. You have actually helped Sky a little by doing the analysis work you have done already. DON'T PANIC!!!! The company the engineer works for may have a different view of things but the situation makes no difference to the engineer, he's got to get it fixed either way.

Let us know what happens.

6. tk212

tk212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, thank god I actually went and bought a set of proper torx drives with the security pic to undo it, the screws look good as new..

There is no reason as i see that you can tell its been opened, and to be honest, If I was working for the company I wouldn't care less anyway.

Im gonna wait for them to come round then once its all ok, fit the 120Gig back in without disconnecting anything apart from the power, and see how that goes.

Ill let you know

Phil

7. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am always interested in these topics where things have been changed and the fear is the company will disown the product. You have purchased the Sky Box and therefore you own it and are entitled to do whatever you want with it including opening it up and changing parts. The idea that because you have done this you have invalidated the warranty is not true. The sale of goods act states the product must be fit for purpose and the warranty is additional to this. As long as the part you affected did not cause the fault , the company cannot disown the product as much as they would like to. So stick to your guns and tell him that a hard disc is interchangeable and should not have caused this problem.

8. gunslinger

gunslinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    mj thats a good bit of info to know thx
    tk212 there used to be a problem with some digi boxes being over sensitive of the method of power removal, i dont know if the sky+ has a power socket on the back or is hard wired if it has a socket dont just pull the plug out here some boxes have been known not to like this actually switch off at wall first

good luck

9. tk212

tk212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The company still hadnt contacted me re the fixing of my Sky+, so I called them back today to find out where the hell they were!

The guy on the line gave me the number of the company who service sky+ boxes for them, as i had said I would callthem myself to chase them up.

When I get through I am told "Sky haven't sent us a service request"...............[​IMG]

Anyhow, I phoned sky back and had a go at them over it insisting that they phone the company and ensure its arranged quickly as I have been waiting nearly a week, the manager (supervisor?) apologised and said he would personally ring me by tommorrow morning to let me know the company has been contacted.:rolleyes:

Anyway, what did come from it was that the service company told me that once they come out, they dont service the boxes, they just replace them straight off as the parts are mostly non serviceable! I WONT be leaving in the 120Gig then!! Dont want them taking it away and some [​IMG] bugger nicking my shiny new 120!!

Basically theyre gonna ring me before midday tommorrow or theyll be hell toupee [​IMG]

Phil

10. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
  11. tk212

tk212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right here goes ...

They DIDNT ring. :mad:

Today I phoned up sky again and went ballistic - I must've been good, because within 2 hours there was an engineer at my door with a new sky + box to install :D

Both LNB feeds were fine as i had worked out, and installation of the new box revealed that all was OK!

Within 5 minutes of him leaving i had the 120 up and running and everything is fine (apart from the usual numerical indicator inaccuracies)-I have no idea what I must have done but he did explain it was a common problem!?

surely it cant be a co-incidence that it stopped working when i changed the HDD can it? :confused:

Anyway, Sky will be getting a phone call demanding refund for the last weeks subscription charge whilst it was down tommorrow. :mad:

Thanks everyone who put in their 2p's worth!

Phil :D